The container thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just bought this today from Paul May at Equipt1 Expeditions, should be here early next week, as Paul ships fast.
Alu-Box 42 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA42

This is going to replace an Action Packer about the same size I have been using for years for my dry foods.
Been wanting to try out one of these Alu-Boxes for awhile now.
Plus I will be able to put in more since the sides are straight, the Action Packers has a lot of wasted space inside due to the shape of them.

ABA42%202.jpg

I thought you had some Zarges containers already, no? If so, why did you get rid of them?

I thought you had some Zarges containers already, no? If so, why did you get rid of them?
No, never had the Zarges, just those nice ones out of Oregon I posted above.
My Alu-Box came yesterday, very nice!
Will get some pics this weekend with it stuffed full of camp food.
I may at a later date get another one with the same footprint so it will stack on top of this one, but it is several inches taller.

I had looked at Zarges online before I got the black ones from Oregon, but back then it seemed the Zarges were pretty hard to get, and you had to wait a long time to get them.
These Alu-Boxes from Paul are usually always in stock, and basically the same thing as a Zarge.

Was looking through my local Army Surplus supplier for some of the old military aluminum medic chests, didn't have any. What they did have were the newer plastic ones. About as tough as nails from what I could tell. @ 79 dollars a bargain too. I pretty sure I'll end up using those for my platform build next summer.

Last edited:
The ZARGES are a weather tight aluminum option. They are more expensive than ziplock or action packer, but they are the last box you will have to buy. Mount them to the roof rack or put them inside. The ability to add foam liners to any of them is nice to for the gear you need to be easy with. Yes, I do sell them, so I'm biased, but they are what I use personally also.

After trying all of the cheap clear plastic tubs, I will now only use 'Nally' brand tubs. These are used by commercial fishermen to transport their fish, and I don't think you could break one. I have had mine for about 10 Years. The red ones in the pics are the larger of the 2 sizes I have... cost is about $55 inc the lid in AUS....

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2235.JPG

Alu-Box 73 Liter Aluminum Storage Case ABA73

Well, I just bought another one, this one is the 60 liter, and it will mate with the 42 liter one.
Pics coming over the weekend.

I really like the 42 liter one I have now, so light in weight.

I bought a couple of the 4.5" versions of these and they are working out well for tools and supplies. There is a 7.25" one also. Luckily the stupid sticker easily peels off.
Amazon.com : MTM ACR5-72 Ammo Crate Utility Box with 4.5" Deep, Medium, Dark Earth : Sports & Outdoors

These are great! Thanks for the recommendation! They are also very cheap!

Since I travel and sleep, in 44 (my FJ40), with two 80'lb Golden Retrievers, I have to be very organized...at least I did before I have my back repaired... I couldn't put anything on the roof.

So, I had been using shallow clear plastic totes... Very cumbersome and very difficult to pack efficiently, in 44.

I bought four of the 4.5" versions and liked them so much, I t hen bought three of the 7.25".

I can store all my spare parts, under my bed, in two of the 7.25" and one 4.5"... And all of my food, cooking utinsels, etc., above my bed, in one 7.25" and three 4.5".

They are very well made, very sturdy, great latches, strong handles and, did I mention, cheap!!

You can't really see them, but they are there.

image.jpeg

I don't know if anyone watches the ePix series Berlin Station or not but in the last episode there was a scene with a giant stack of what looked to be Zarges cases in the background. I could barely follow the plot because I was lusting after the thousands of dollars worth of aluminum.

Chad

After trying all of the cheap clear plastic tubs, I will now only use 'Nally' brand tubs. These are used by commercial fishermen to transport their fish, and I don't think you could break one. I have had mine for about 10 Years. The red ones in the pics are the larger of the 2 sizes I have... cost is about $55 inc the lid in AUS....

View attachment 1365350

View attachment 1365351
What brand of sand ladders are those? Can't say I've ever seen those.:beer:

OK, here are my two Aluboxes from Paul May at Equipt Expedition Outfitters, the 60 liter one showed up yesterday.
I am very impressed with the high quality of these, so light, and waterproof and dust proof.

Going to use the 60 liter one for my dry foods, and also to keep the Aeropress coffee maker and Magma cookset in.
I could keep the latter two in my chuckbox just fine, but but trying to keep the weight down of the chuckbox when I carry it from inside my place out to my rig.
When I get setup in camp, those two items will come out of the Alubox, and be stored in the chuckbox.
Back in my younger years I would have no problem lifting the heavy chuckbox filled with everything, but now as I approach senior citizenship, I have to watch what I lift :bang:

The smaller 42 liter one will hold all of my Goal Zero LED camp lights, the Powerfilm foldable 60 watt solar panel to keep the starting battery topped off, and various other solar items.

I will still use my ECS footlocker to keep supplies in.
But the ECS cases compared to the lightweight of the Aluboxes may make me get a bigger Alubox in the future to replace the ECS footlocker.
The only thing with the footprint of the Aluboxes is they must be the same size to mate the four corners too.
With the ECS cases being like Legos, you can mismatch case diameter sizes, and they will still stack and interlock with each other.

1.jpg

Here they are side by side.

2.jpg

60 liter on the left, 42 liter on the right.

3.jpg

4.jpg

The two of them mate together with their corners, and lock to keep them stacked nice.
On Christmas break from Boeing until January the 3rd, so my guitars all come out to play with.

Well, I just ordered another box, the 73 liter.

It has the same footprint as my 42 and 60 liter boxes.
The other day I measured the inside dimensions on my ECS footlocker I have been using, and the 60 liter Alubox which is a lot smaller width, length, and height wise than the ECS case is actuallly bigger on the inside.
See why I prefer these now?
They take up less space, but you get just as much interior space and more.

I could have done OK ordering another 60 liter, but the 73 liter one will give me extra space.
Here is the footlocker it will be replacing.
One thing I liked about the ECS case though was the two removable trays on top.

16.jpg

14.jpg

There is a delay in getting my new 73 liter box, as it is coming from a different warehouse other than from Equipt's in Utah.
Should arrive next Thursday, and I will try and update this thread with the third box in the rig.

For now I have the 60 liter on the bottom, and the 42 liter on top.
I am going to experiment with the best fit when the other one arrives.
I may turn them sideways if there is room, or just put the new one in front of these two.

5.jpg

Getting too shiny back there with the fridge, two tables, and now the Aluboxes

6.jpg

They will of course be strapped down when in transit

Received my final Alubox yesterday, the 73 liter one.

Transferred the contents from the much bigger ECS case, and there is more room in the smaller Alubox thanks to it utilizing all of its available space.
I even have room left over.

This box I decided to pimp out a bit with some of my stickers that have been piling up from purchases.
Not going to test fit this in the rig today, it is pouring outside right now.

Very pleased with my purchase of these, but it was an expensive one for sure.

7.jpg

All three with the same footprint stack nicely

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

The two nice trays contents from the ECS case are in two plastic bins with lids on the very bottom, which are hidden from view

What's shipping from the UK on one of those? I see that it says no shipping to the US. How did you get it sent?

Chad

DSCN1456.jpg

The aluminium medical chest on my rack in this picture is the best container I have ever used.

I have two of the USGI aluminum medical chests. They are watertight. Excellent piece of gear.

Those zip loc containers are nice, in a non-rugged way lol. I had mine get rained on, then the ponded water on the lid froze. I went to knock the ice off and the lid shattered...oophs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom