Builds The Clustertruck Rides Again - Refurbishing a 1975 Chevota (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rattlecan (or anyone else): That veritcal rod running from the accelerator linkage up to the top of the arm...Looks like it attaches to a lever of sorts - dashpot maybe? Looks like mine is missing...

How big a deal is this? It seems to decelerate smoothly, doesn't stall out when I let off the gas...Is there anywhere to buy that assembly?

Kinda hard to see in this picture, but the ID numbers for my quadrajet are on the little tab piece to the right of the Quadrajet logo. But it looks like yours is different. :confused:

I believe all the quadrajet rebuild kits are the same, the kit comes with multiple different gaskets for the couple variations they have. My carb looked just as nasty as yours but they sure do clean up nice.:cheers:

A shot of my throttle cable assembly. Looks like a stock later-model FJ40 throttle cable, attached to the pedal by a welded-on bracket. The return spring/mounting setup at the carb looks...questionable...Mounted to a tab welded to the back of the alternator bracket...

Does anyone have suggestions on how to plug that hole in the firewall that the cable is running through? It looks like there should be a boot of some sort plugging up that hole... I'm thinking some kind of custom-fabbed (redneck-engineered) grommet might be in order...
IMG_0540.jpg
IMG_0544.jpg
IMG_0541.jpg

Last edited:
Did you find your Q-Jet numbers?

A shot of my throttle cable assembly. Looks like a stock later-model FJ40 throttle cable, attached to the pedal by a welded-on bracket. The return spring/mounting setup at the carb looks...questionable...Mounted to a tab welded to the back of the alternator bracket...

Does anyone have suggestions on how to plug that hole in the firewall that the cable is running through? It looks like there should be a boot of some sort plugging up that hole... I'm thinking some kind of custom-fabbed (redneck-engineered) grommet might be in order...

Can you source some of the firewall grommets?

1-IMG_4765.jpg
1-IMG_4765.jpg

Did you find your Q-Jet numbers?

Nope, didn't get a chance to look, I should be able to get over there tomorrow after work and try to degunk the area in question and see if I missed something.

Can you source some of the firewall grommets?

It looks like there is a grommet that goes there naturally to cover the original carb linkage on older model 40's - the hole I need to fill is oval, and all the grommets I've seen are round...the carb linkage "boot" might work but I haven't been able to find one.

Just weld in a patch and then drill it to fit the cable linkage.

Rattlecan (or anyone else): That veritcal rod running from the accelerator linkage up to the top of the arm...Looks like it attaches to a lever of sorts - dashpot maybe? Looks like mine is missing...

How big a deal is this? It seems to decelerate smoothly, doesn't stall out when I let off the gas...Is there anywhere to buy that assembly?

The lever you mention leads to the accelerator pump. Kinda important to have. Best thing to do if you plan to keep that Q-Jet carb (it is a good carb - but yours is kinda screwed with looks like) is get a couple books about it. Haynes offers "Rochester Carburetor Manual". A quick Google search turned up this site with complete manuals scanned: http://www.newagemetal.com/ There are many different Q-Jets and trying to fix yours by comparing it to a pic of another isn't likely the way to success. ;)

Nick

Just weld in a patch and then drill it to fit the cable linkage.

Thought of this - just didn't like the concept of having metal potentially rubbing on metal. I may go "half way" and weld in a patch, then cut a hole to fit a small firewall grommet to run the cable through.

There are many different Q-Jets and trying to fix yours by comparing it to a pic of another isn't likely the way to success. ;)

Nick

This is very true, and you are probably right. Finding the ID tag should be step one before I jump to conclusions. I tend to get ahead of myself.

I absolutely intend to keep the carb, or at the very least continue to run a quadrajet. They seem like a well suited carb to a truck application, and from what I've read, more efficient that Hollys... At least when they're not draining gas into your manifold!

Thought of this - just didn't like the concept of having metal potentially rubbing on metal. I may go "half way" and weld in a patch, then cut a hole to fit a small firewall grommet to run the cable through.

That cable looks like one sold to do V8 conversions (I bought one back in the day). Usually there is a plastic bushing that extends through the firewall side of the drilled hole to keep if from rubbing. I can't see enough of the cable you have to tell if that is still there or not...

Nick

Fun with Decoding...Carb/Engine Identified

Ok guys,

Snuck over to the garage on my lunch break and found the carburetor ID tag (under a bunch of crud) right where you all said it would be.

The code is: 7027244
With a second line of numbers: 0734 (no letters)

So the first part is pretty easy to decode, looks like:

7027 = 1967
2 = 4 barrel
4 = Buick
4 = Automatic Transmission

Second set of numbers indicates that it was built on the 73rd day of 1964, if I understand correctly, but that doesn't seem to make much sense...

So the next question is: Is there any disadvantage to continuing to use this carb? It's way older than I thought!

Brings me to my next discovery of the week:

Brief backstory: This truck was sold to me as having a 1972 350 V8...Over the past 9 months I have come to realize that my PO spent most of his time as stoned as the day I bought the truck from him...

The engine block code indicates it is, in fact, a 283 from between 1957-67. The head stamp agrees, indicating 283SBC Heads (1.72/1.5 valves, 59cc chamber).

I'm not sure I care, obviously the 283 is not a torque-y as a 350, BUT the engine runs like a top and doesn't smoke, so it will stay for now.

So it sounds like the engine was pulled directly from a 1966ish Buick, if everything is original.

Moving Forward

Do I rebuild my ancient Automatic Buick Quadrajet, or is it time for an "upgrade?"

Is there any advantage to a newer Quadrajet vs. mine (which has to be one of the first Quadrajets). I understand that the post 1974 Q-jets were a little tougher and less prone to warpage. Thoughts?

That cable looks like one sold to do V8 conversions (I bought one back in the day). Usually there is a plastic bushing that extends through the firewall side of the drilled hole to keep if from rubbing. I can't see enough of the cable you have to tell if that is still there or not...

Nick

Nope, no bushing, just that small tab hanging out in space right in front of the hole in the firewall on the engine bay side.

I'd be inclined to rebuild what you have for now. If the rebuild doesn't work then try and source a better carb. Spend your money fixing the linkage and air cleaner...

FYI Buick didn't use a Chevy 283 back in '66. Back then each Division of GM had their own engine designs that didn't interchange at all. The cross-platform sharing we see today didn't start until the early 80's IIRC. Either way the 283 is a decent motor. If your motor runs well there is no reason to swap it out right now with other, more important, issues to fix.

Nick

I'd be inclined to rebuild what you have for now. If the rebuild doesn't work then try and source a better carb. Spend your money fixing the linkage and air cleaner...
Nick

So the great mystery to me is - How is my truck even running without the accelerator pump arm and linkage, which appears to be missing entirely?

Any tips on where to source a replacement? I can find the linkage rod, but not the actual arm...

I have no intent on replacing the motor. If the time comes to rebuild, maybe...but right now, you are absolutely right - more important things to address (everything)

Last edited:
So the great mystery to me is - How is my truck even running without the accelerator pump arm and linkage, which appears to be missing entirely?

Any tips on where to source a replacement? I can find the linkage rod, but not the actual arm...

I have no intent on replacing the motor. If the time comes to rebuild, maybe...but right now, you are absolutely right - more important things to address (everything)

I'd try the local pick n pull for a parts carb. One of my local yards has a section with vintage tin. I've seen a few Q-jets there in the past. This is where you need to study the manuals a little to see what parts might interchange.

Failing there - a local carb rebuilder or start hitting the swap meets. Back in the late 80's I needed parts for a q-jet I was working on and a local hole in the wall carb shop had the stuff. One of those places with the crusty old dudes behind the counter with dirt and grease everywhere... It helps that you at least know roughly where the carb came from - the '66 Buick.

Nick

I'd try the local pick n pull for a parts carb. One of my local yards has a section with vintage tin. I've seen a few Q-jets there in the past. This is where you need to study the manuals a little to see what parts might interchange.

Failing there - a local carb rebuilder or start hitting the swap meets. Back in the late 80's I needed parts for a q-jet I was working on and a local hole in the wall carb shop had the stuff. One of those places with the crusty old dudes behind the counter with dirt and grease everywhere... It helps that you at least know roughly where the carb came from - the '66 Buick.

Nick

I'm starting with a local crusty old dude with a pick-n-pull in his garage - my girlfriend's dad, and his car club friends. :D They like to give me crap for my Japanese rust bucket, but having the Chevy Engine earns me some respect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom