The 95+ Gen Toyota Truck registry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With so many Tacoma owners, let me ask you this. Do y'all find that it is too small of a truck? Even the Tundra is technically just a half ton so I'm really wondering if the Tacoma would be too small.

Last edited:
Depends on if its 1st or 2nd Gen Tacoma and what you want to do with it. My 2nd Gen is almost exactly the same size as my father's 1st Gen Tundra. Both are Access Cabs but mine is a few inches shorter.

The 1st Gen Tacomas are a little bit smaller, but practically owning both I can say that the 1st Gen feels a little more rugged from the factory, has a better [IMO] V6, has bigger windows compared to size and has a better view out the back sides.

All 4wd Tacomas as far as I know come with 1 ton axles, but I don't know what the springs are rated to.

Even for a 6'2'' 175lb guy like me, the 1st Gen Taco has enough interior space, though my 2nd Gen is noticeably roomier.

For dedicated off-road use, smaller is better. Unless you specifically need more bed room or are a big-o-boy, a 1st Gen should be big enough.

My .02 :)

Btw, this should probably be split to a different thread.

My toys:

68 fj 40 SBC, sm-465, SOA, high steer, 4-wheel disk, lockright,
98 T-100 supercharged 5-speed TJM bull-bar kamar rear both modified from a 100 series

Got to be some cool T-100s out there lets see um!
scan0030.jpg
Seattle and olylmpic pen 081.jpg

98 T-100 supercharged 5-speed TJM bull-bar kamar rear both modified from a 100 series

Got to be some cool T-100s out there lets see um!

Woohoo! Another T100! :D My truck is Post 4.

Heres my 2002 ext cab v6 5spd TRD
mods:
-All pro f/r bumper and belly skid
-Trail Gear sliders
-Warn m8000
-Viking winch rope
-OME 882s up front with OME shocks
-Deaver 8 leafs
-Bilstein 5100 shocks outback
-U bolt flip
-255/85/16 BFG km2s
-Inchworm gear drive case to taco tranny adapter
-Doubler with Marlin 4.7:1 gears, and marlin gear drive case to taco tcase adapter
Bunch of dents care of rocks and trees

Future mods:
Building a lefty with all kinds of chromo guts and stuffing my 4.7:1 gears in there, rebuilding my doubler. Adding RAD design triple sticks, and building a new center console.
P9050432.jpg

SAM_0171.jpg

whitetail13.jpg

damnation5.jpg

rockgarden19.jpg

Dont worry we picked the can up!!!! (wasnt ours)

Riverratmatt: Thats news to me about the axles being 1tons on tacos. Maybe over seas, but not what we get here. They are probibly some where between a d44 (half ton) and a 3/4 ton axles. The front IFS stuff is probibly BARELY half ton.

I know the rear axle in my 2010 is a D60; you're probably right about the IFS though. I assumed they'd have similar strength gear up front. The first gen Tacos are D60s as well from what I understand, but I could be wrong.

Sweet truck by the way!! I want to do something like that with my GF's 2003 when she gets a 4Runner :)

I'd also consider getting lower gears in my 2nd gen transmission, but I'm not sure I'd trust any other manufacturer to be as reliable and long lasting as Toyota - what do I not know?

I know the rear axle in my 2010 is a D60; you're probably right about the IFS though. I assumed they'd have similar strength gear up front. The first gen Tacos are D60s as well from what I understand, but I could be wrong.

Sweet truck by the way!! I want to do something like that with my GF's 2003 when she gets a 4Runner :)

I'd also consider getting lower gears in my 2nd gen transmission, but I'm not sure I'd trust any other manufacturer to be as reliable and long lasting as Toyota - what do I not know?

Thanks on the compliments

The toyota truck axle is no where NEAR the strength of a D60.

D60 axle specs from wikipedia
Toyota info from
Toyota Pickup and 4Runner Drivetrain Specifications

Solid Rear
1995-???Width 58 1/2"-60ring gear size 8"
Axle shaft diameter 1 5/16"
splines 30
Tacoma axle uses the same brakes and third member as previous pickup axle, somewhere during Tacoma production the rear axle changed from 58 1/2" to 60
No idea what the thickness of the toyota tubes are, but i know they will bend really easy, and are pretty much stamped steel. So unless you have a swapped in D60 (doubt it) that rear end is no where near the stregth of a d60.

Now the 2010 TUNDRA axle on the other hand is close to a d60 strength wise. Just dont want to hear misinformation spread

Now back to the taco pics!!!!​

Last edited:
While the Toyota rear axle is pretty freaking beef, it is NO where a D60.

Oversea's, they might have a close race... Here, nope.

IMHO, all rear axle's toyota has produced for any 4wd vehicle have been beef. Its not uncommon to run 40"+ tires on the rear of a mini. I'm running 37's and have no worries!

Just to back up what others said, "D35, D44, D60 and others" all refer to axles ranging from 1/2 to 1 tons made by Dana Corp. which supplies axles and drivetrain components to Dodge, Ford and other mostly American truck manufs. Even LC axles are generally considered less substantial than 3/4 ton D44s.

But really less is more, the 8" is all you need and nets you better mileage.

Just to back up what others said, "D35, D44, D60 and others" all refer to axles ranging from 1/2 to 1 tons made by Dana Corp. which supplies axles and drivetrain components to Dodge, Ford and other mostly American truck manufs. Even LC axles are generally considered less substantial than 3/4 ton D44s.

Som bad info here. LC 9.5" FF's are stronger than Dana 44's... by quite a bit. Housing isn't as strong as a D60, but I could argue all day long that shafts/diff size of the LC 9.5" FF against that D44 comment...

But really less is more, the 8" is all you need and nets you better mileage.

This is also false. 8" doesn't have anything to do with mileage, unless you're planning to split hairs on weight differences. And 8" are stout, but not at all "all you need" depending on application.

Som bad info here. LC 9.5" FF's are stronger than Dana 44's... by quite a bit. Housing isn't as strong as a D60, but I could argue all day long that shafts/diff size of the LC 9.5" FF against that D44 comment...

This is also false. 8" doesn't have anything to do with mileage, unless you're planning to split hairs on weight differences. And 8" are stout, but not at all "all you need" depending on application.

go back and read my post, then try not be such a prick.

The picture whore in me says ''lets quit the bickering and see some rides and specs!'':D

Redgrrr said:
The picture whore in me says ''lets quit the bickering and see some rides and specs!'':D

Awwww. A diplomat. Ain't he sweet?

but he's also right. I concede, Landcruisers rule all ass and have 1 ton running gear.

here's my old Taco, was planning a SAS but sold it. bone stock when I bought it. 2.7L
n1233232391_30213785_3129.jpg

BattleWagon said:
but he's also right. I concede, Landcruisers rule all ass and have 1 ton running gear.

here's my old Taco, was planning a SAS but sold it. bone stock when I bought it. 2.7L

Diggin' those flaps.

Heres mine
1998 Tacoma SR5 Extra Cab 3.4L, 5Speed
Arb Front Bumper
4x innovation Sliders
32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s
Toytec 650lb Coilovers 3"
All Pro Rear Leafs 3"
Wheeler Type A's Black
Trd Axle Swapped

Yotatech-1.jpg

Poser shot but its the most recent one i have atm

Dang Battlewagon, that was a sweet truck!

I could have sworn that what I read was my rig had at least a rear D60 equivalent, but fair enough!

There are some damn sexy Tacos on this forum..... really dig that red SAS'd truck!

Year: 1998

Model: 4Runner SR5 V6

Mods: Tundra Front Struts, LC 8 wrap coils in back, 33" Maxxis Bighorns on Procomp 1079's, rear tire carrier, 99+ Headlights, aftermarket signal lights, custom bumper valance, Nerf Bars, deck plate mod, a few other little things to make it gooder!

P1120426.jpg

P1120435.jpg

new dd

My new daily driver.

Got tyred of driving around my 89 what with the 35's and all.

I love this thing, its like driving my old stock truck all over again, super fun!

Heading to the dealership tomorrow to check on the frame rust recall for her. :p

mmmm 3rz

SAM_0215.jpg

manual locking hubs! well worth the sacrifice. (single cab over extra cab)

SAM_0214.jpg

SAM_0210.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom