TF035 Turbo on a 5L-E (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long time lurker but first time poster here. I am in the process of turbocharging my 5L-E and am in need of some help. I know this might not be a very popular mod people are doing anymore, and resources on the subject are few and far between. I know the simplest and most cost-effective way of doing it would be to use a CT20A turbo, manifold and bits from a late 2LT-E or 2LT-II engine which would bolt right on. However, I would like to do this project once and do it right. I know the CT20A turbo is an old design and not particularly suited to the 3.0 liter displacement of the 5L-E engine, so I was looking at other options. The TD04L-13T from a Subaru WRX has been highly recommended on this forum as a suitable and efficient turbo which is exactly what I'm looking for - my goal is to run around 12 psi with an intercooler, 2'5" exhaust and a chip which I've managed to get my hands on. It's mainly hilly roads around here, so a fast spooling turbo with good mid-range would be ideal.

The issue is I cannot for the life of me find a genuine TD04L that's in good condition and which wouldn't require me to sell a kidney to pay for it, either used or new. The only ones I can find for a decent price are Chinese knock-offs, mainly from this brand called MaxSpeedingRods. I'm not particuliarly familiar with them, but would rather go for a genuine item. The one thing I particulary like about the TD04L is that there's plenty of documentation available, and I know it's been done before.

The other turbos I am considering are:
- Mitsubishi TF035HL-14GK2-6: This would be off of a mid-2000s Pajero running the 3.2 liter DiD engine (4M41). There's not a lot of information on this specific turbo, and I am unsure how it compares to the trusted TD04L. The main upside of using this turbo is that I can find a genuine item in condition for a good price. It seems to be a low-mount turbo on the 4M41, which would need to be converted to a high-mount on the 5L-E. I would need to fab an adapter plate for the manifold and figure out the dump pipe. My hesitation comes from the fact that I haven't seem these being used on a Toyota L series (or B series) before and am unsure how it'll perform. The Mitsubishi 4M41 engine is a bit bigger than the 5L-E (3.2 ltr vs 3.0 ltr), but I know Mitsubishi used another variant of that turbo with a 5 cm housing on the 4M42 (3.0 ltr displacement). The WRX's TD04L-13T-6 also come with a 6 cm housing.

- Holset HE211 / HE221: There's been some discussion about these turbos in the past. I know the HE211 wheel is a similar size to the TD04L and it's got the reputation of being an efficient turbo. However, these Holset turbos seem to be mostly efficient at high boost, so I am not sure how they would perform in a low boost application (12 psi) I am planning to run. I'm not even sure they can be adjusted without to much trouble to max out at 12 psi. Would anyone know?

- TF035 from a Mitsubishi 4M40T (2.8 ltr): I believe this would be the TF035-12T, which replaced the TD04-12T on earlier 4M40s. Some of the Australian turbo kits use the TD04-12T, so this makes me think that it would work. However, like the TD04L-13T, finding a genuine one that won't break the bank seems impossible. My mechanic says he can get his hands on a copy from a supplier he trusts and it's not too expensive, but then again I'd rather go genuine if possible. I am also unsure how good this turbo would go on a 5L-E, as I've read some people say it's already pretty stuffed up on the 2.8 ltr 4M40 engine.

I would appreciate any thoughts and insights. Perhaps @Dougal or @gerg could chime in if possible, I know they've been in a lot of the past discussions on the topic and are experts on the subject.

Holset He2011 or TD04-15 / -19 would be perfect... and you can run more than 15psi with a good turbo , around 40+ is when you run into issues..

Holset He2011 or TD04-15 / -19 would be perfect... and you can run more than 15psi with a good turbo , around 40+ is when you run into issues..

On a 5L-E with stock internals? The consensus seemed to be 12-14 psi intercooled and I've read threads where running double-digit boost on that engine was frowned upon by some... The CT20 is pushing 10 psi stock which really isn't that big of a deal on these motors but I don't know how comfortable I am running 40 psi

Have you turbo'd one of these before? I really like the Holset, but the stock boost on these babies kinda scares me if I'm being honest

On a 5L-E with stock internals? The consensus seemed to be 12-14 psi intercooled and I've read threads where running double-digit boost on that engine was frowned upon by some... The CT20 is pushing 10 psi stock which really isn't that big of a deal on these motors but I don't know how comfortable I am running 40 psi

Have you turbo'd one of these before? I really like the Holset, but the stock boost on these babies kinda scares me if I'm being honest
the thing to remember that those are ct20 numbers, and the ct20 is a inefficient design compared to modern turbine and housing geometry thats available. With that said, the amount of fuel to make double digit boost on a ct20 is quite a bit, vs how much fuel you need to make 20 psi on a modern turbo. EGT's are the real thing to watch IMO..

I havn't turboed a 5l myself but Ive been dailying my homejob turbo 2l for almost 2 years now and it lived its first 33 years as a NA.

Completely agreed about the CT20 being an old design and EGTs being the main thing to watch. Which turbo did you use on your 2L if you don't mind me asking?

Completely agreed about the CT20 being an old design and EGTs being the main thing to watch. Which turbo did you use on your 2L if you don't mind me asking?
I have a TD04-15 that I paid 100 bucks for on Ebay that was previously used on a Saab. should be about the same size you'd need, mines a little oversize but I imagine that would do well, or a td04-19 would be good too

I have a TD04-15 that I paid 100 bucks for on Ebay that was previously used on a Saab. should be about the same size you'd need, mines a little oversize but I imagine that would do well, or a td04-19 would be good too
Oh man that's awesome! How do you like it on the 2L? I was bent on getting a TD04L-13T since they were getting so many glowing reviews on here, but I'll start looking at the ones you mentioned

Are you intercooled by the way?

Oh man that's awesome! How do you like it on the 2L? I was bent on getting a TD04L-13T since they were getting so many glowing reviews on here, but I'll start looking at the ones you mentioned

Are you intercooled by the way?
the 2l is treating me well super simple and easy to maintain, its not rocketship but it can move out of its own path and gets reasonable mileage. I'm not intercooled yet, still debating on how ill tackle that.. If I was doing more 70+ MPH highway travel I'd def want to be intercooled, but for 65-70 mph its ok without it. I need to try driving slower to see what my MPG really can be, but it usually is around 22 mpg.

just a thought, with the 5Le you may need to look for a manual injection pump from a 3l.. the electric controlled ones tend to be very conservative in letting up any extra fuel lol

the 2l is treating me well super simple and easy to maintain, its not rocketship but it can move out of its own path and gets reasonable mileage. I'm not intercooled yet, still debating on how ill tackle that.. If I was doing more 70+ MPH highway travel I'd def want to be intercooled, but for 65-70 mph its ok without it. I need to try driving slower to see what my MPG really can be, but it usually is around 22 mpg.

just a thought, with the 5Le you may need to look for a manual injection pump from a 3l.. the electric controlled ones tend to be very conservative in letting up any extra fuel lol

That's really awesome! I'm in the same boat, I was going to do everything all at once between the turbo install, intercooler and exhaust, but I'm having second thoughts now and might leave the ancillary stuff for later. On top of the turbos you listed and the one from the 4m41 I'm also looking at GT2052v from Nissan Patrols now too. It seems like some people might have used it on the 5L before and it seems pretty close to the 13t specs-wise.

As far as fueling, I managed to get my hands on a chip. They're used extensively in Australia and New Zealand on the electronically controlled pumps and I thought that would be the way to go since I didn't want to change the injection pump.

What sort of boost are you running currently?

I know this might not be a very popular mod people are doing anymore, and resources on the subject are few and far between.
You might find a bit of info on Australian FB pages. This engine is popular and common here.

Ive always thought the L engines in general were given a bad rap on this forum. They work fine in countries where they have the experience and parts to maintain them

You might find a bit of info on Australian FB pages. This engine is popular and common here.

I've tried looking around but I'm not too big on facebook so it hasn't been easy. There's an old Hilux forum from New Zealand that's been taken down since for some reason, but it probably had the most info on the 5L engine as they are really popular there, arguably more than in Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom