Texas Cruisers Caravan to HIH 8 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's a serious long haul. I've driven the ABQ - Greenville (Leonard) several times and I can barely make it in one day of exhaustion. You're going to add 5 hours to that drive from ABQ to Silverton leg.

Yeah I think I’m being optimistic when I think we can make it from Fort Smith, AR to ABQ in one day towing a heavy trailer and loaded down with stuff.

Yeah I think I’m being optimistic when I think we can make it from Fort Smith, AR to ABQ in one day towing a heavy trailer and loaded down with stuff.
Since it's all I-40, and if you plan to stay overnight in Moriarty, I think it's doable. But leave early and expect to get 'here' late. Google maps says about 10 hours. I bet 12 -14 is more like reality towing a trailer and keeping it at 65 mph (that's where I'm more comfortable when I'm towing)

That's a serious long haul. I've driven the ABQ - Greenville (Leonard) several times and I can barely make it in one day of exhaustion. You're going to add 5 hours to that drive from ABQ to Silverton leg.
I did Denver to Houston alone, no stopping (17 hours) outside of bathroom breaks and gas when I was younger. Never again. That was traumatizing and vowed never to do more than 10-11 in a day again. That's my limit.

I take several 8+ hour road trips every year and usually enjoy them. Did an 18.5 hour trip last year, 7 on motorcycle, the rest in the LC. Being single and kids grown probably has something to do with my enjoyment. ;) Satellite radio helps too.

Hello fellow men

Man, my work just asked me to come to Omaha Monday-Wednesday. All that being said, I am flying out Wednesday morning and my wife is picking me up in Lubbock (instead of flying all the way back to Austin). But I still want to do the "meet in Durango" thing and "mount up" with you guys. Do we think that could still be an option? 12 ish? Maybe do lunch somewhere before we roll? I'm itching to get talking about this again. 7 weeks!

Hello fellow men

Man, my work just asked me to come to Omaha Monday-Wednesday. All that being said, I am flying out Wednesday morning and my wife is picking me up in Lubbock (instead of flying all the way back to Austin). But I still want to do the "meet in Durango" thing and "mount up" with you guys. Do we think that could still be an option? 12 ish? Maybe do lunch somewhere before we roll? I'm itching to get talking about this again. 7 weeks!

I still think many of us will be able to meet in Moriarty NM to stay there on the evening of the 11th. Would that work for you? Then we can all roll up for a final meetup in Durango around noon for our final haul in.

Looks like I am likely to be heading out a few days early to meet up with friends at their cabin at Vallecito Lake (near Bayfield, CO) so I probably won't join the convoy in Albuquerque.

I still think many of us will be able to meet in Moriarty NM to stay there on the evening of the 11th. Would that work for you? Then we can all roll up for a final meetup in Durango around noon for our final haul in.
Yeah! We'll see, that's good to know. It's going to be a "play it by ear" for us on the 11th. (Kids). But we'll shoot for Moriarty, but may have to stop earlier. We'll see. Even if we can't get to Moriarty, we can get up early and maybe get their by the time you guys pull out.

Looks like I'll be meeting up with everyone in Durango since I can't leave Austin until 5-6pm on the 11th (going to drive all night...no boring West TX scenery). If we can coordinate a time and place, that would be awesome! I know of a GREAT pizza place in Durango that would be perfect for lunch :)

Let me know what hotel y'all are going to stay at. It appears the town does not have a hotel that has a bar and a pool. I was going to book a room at the Sunset. Looks like an old school Route 66 motel but unfortunately they do not have a pool. My kids would like a pool after a 10 hour drive in the summer I am sure. I prefer a hotel where I can park close to the door. I am leaning towards the Best Western. They have a pool and if you book through their site you can pay a bit extra for the last minute cancellation. I prefer to book hotels this way in case plans change.

So sounds like we are set on moriarty. It’s a 4hr drive from there to Durango. So I say Durango by noon, we can meet @geanes for some za, then should roll into silverton around 2 since it’s about an hour from Durango. We will be right on time for check in for those concerned about their spot!!

I am good with anything @TXSunDevil just let me know where you book and I’ll likely do the same.

I made a refundable reservation at the Best Western for Wednesday night. I spoke with the Moriarty authorities and they told me car burglary is not real prevalent there so that is good. If we find some swanky resort that works out better I can change it.

Next year I will have my mountain chalet built about 15 miles northwest of Moriarty. Then you can all just spread out on the 20 acres. But I won't have a pool for the kiddos unless I go to Wal-Mart for a kiddie pool. There will be some dogs and chickens to keep them entertained though. It will be cheaper than a hotel, probably only cost you some beer. Attached photos are a teaser of what to expect.
0002.jpg
0009.jpg
0017.jpg

Next year I will have my mountain chalet built about 15 miles northwest of Moriarty. Then you can all just spread out on the 20 acres. But I won't have a pool for the kiddos unless I go to Wal-Mart for a kiddie pool. There will be some dogs and chickens to keep them entertained though. It will be cheaper than a hotel, probably only cost you some beer. Attached photos are a teaser of what to expect.View attachment 1708052 View attachment 1708053 View attachment 1708054

Now I will definitely take you up on that next year!

I made a refundable reservation at the Best Western for Wednesday night. I spoke with the Moriarty authorities and they told me car burglary is not real prevalent there so that is good. If we find some swanky resort that works out better I can change it.

Sounds good. i will likely do the same. I'd imagine the rate will be pretty reasonable. Weekday, small town.

Curious if any of us overlapped on trails:

Friday: 8:15am Imogene to Ophir
Saturday: 8:30am Black Bear to Ophir
Sunday: 8:45am Poughkeepsie to Ophir
Monday: 9am Clear Lake to Super Secret

-Andrew

Friday: 7am Alpine Loop
Saturday: 8:45 Poughkeepsie to Corkscrew
Sunday: 7:30 Black Bear to Ophir
Monday: Imogene to Telluride

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread