Tap size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crumscustomwelding.com
What thread is a GM TRE on the pitman arm side,also thread size for the Toyota TRE at the knuckle?If you have the part #`s for the TRE that would be of some help also.Thanks in advance.

I think I remember on second thought that it's 11/16 but finer thread than what's commonly available. I'll check tonight and see if I can find the TRE part number too. If you can't get them locally, I can loan you the tap and bit if you can wait a few days for it to get to you. Headed home from work now.

There are many different TREs used to connect to Pitman arms, Most use intermediate to 1-ton units. One of the most common is ES 416R. That is a 7/8 x 14 thread.

TRE at the knuckle depends on model and year, Early FJs used a 19x1.5mm, late FJs used a 21x1.5mm and the 80 series use a 23x1.5mm.

I measured the shaft diameter and I`m comming up with 7/8.theo,maybe yours is different? Thanks,Medusa.My Dad is looking to see if he has the 7/8 tap.

Last edited:
I wonder if I have a smaller diameter tie rod? I'm sure it's stock knowing what I do about the history of my truck ('76 FJ40).

The tap I used is 11/16 x 18, which was special order in Missoula where I live. When I was shopping for a TRE all I had was my dumb self and a couple counter guys. I ended up with a morphadite size! On the other hand, the drill bit was only very slightly larger than the existing I.D. of the rod, so I didn't lose any thickness. Pretty sure the bit needs sharpening though. Maybe it's just that I was reaming with it instead of drilling, but it got hot.

Seems like you'd be better off with a common tap and a common TRE like Jack recommends. (Offer still stands, of course, if you want to be a misfit like me.)

GM can be several different ones as listed above, the Toyota one should be a 17mm x 1.5mm

The tie rod has 19mm x 1.5mm L&R threads

(I think... its late... ;))

OK,bone head award for me.I didn`t have my digtal caliper zeroed in.Went out and remeasured it.Come up with 0.687 which is of coarse 11/16.Thanks again theo.I don`t want anyone mislead by my mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom