Swaybar Bushing Installation Hack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
BLUF: Can you make a slit in an OEM
bushing and just pop it into place or do you actually have to drop the swaybar and slide it on from the end?

Background: My swaybar bushing on the DS front completely disintegrated. Looking to an install a new OEM one and read up in the FSM about the procedure. I noticed that most after market bushings have a slit down the middle that allows you to just open it up and put it in place after you remove the bracket. Seems like that would be a lot easier than jacking the truck, taking the wheel off and dropping the sway bar.

Thanks.

The sway bar is pretty easy to remove. If it were me I would pull the sway bar and keep the oem bushings intact.

The large bushes that hold the brackets up on the rearward portion of the bar do have slits in them. Pop off the metal shield that holds them in place and just fit the new ones. The smaller bushes at the ends of the sway bar require the bar to be removed. Don't loose the little metal tube.

The large bushes that hold the brackets up on the rearward portion of the bar do have slits in them. Pop off the metal shield that holds them in place and just fit the new ones. The smaller bushes at the ends of the sway bar require the bar to be removed. Don't loose the little metal tube.
I should have clarified that I am talking about the big ones to the rear of the bar. Thank you!

Yup, make sure to put some rubber friendly lube on the new bushings. I use silicone grease, works great.

Toyota:
Bushing (rubber) 90385-11021
Sleeve (metal tube) 90560-10275

1648045884851.png

FWIW, I had to remove the lower shock mounting bolts to access these mount bushings. I'd recommend new bolts too, although I neglected to order them, so I rethreaded mine. I replaced the shocks, and saw these behind the lower mounts, so I did both jobs at the same time.

PartSouq is your friend when searching for part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom