1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sway bar quick disconnect..the day is here!

Discussion in 'FJ Cruiser' started by TrAiLbUs1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. TrAiLbUs1

TrAiLbUs1

FOR 1....unfortunatly they were out of the 18's so I will have to drill another hole 1" below the OEM mudflapper hole...I'll let you guys know how it goes. I really wanted the 18 but had to settle for these...they should be here any minute now.

2. daPitbull

daPitbull

2007fj's Page - NorCal FJs (Mark) hooked me up with the updated swaybar. After some R&D, he decided to make the link beefier and revised the design slightly at the disconnect. I emailed him to get me exactly what he revised to share with all of you, but he's on vacation for a bit so I'll update you guys later. Anyway, here are some pics:
    Link before:
    [​IMG]
    Link after:
    [​IMG]
    Disco before:
    [​IMG]
    Disco after:
    [​IMG]

3. TrAiLbUs1

TrAiLbUs1

YEP wayy better ..even though before it was fine too. Fully tested on HARD trails with connected and no issues.

I ran all of Moab and the Summit discoed and it was fabulous...such a difference..then back on the freeway CONNECTED in 30 seconds. LOVE IT

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wow actual articulation
    [​IMG]

4. duvinclunk

duvinclunk

This ever go to production? Can it be purchased?

5. firensteel

firensteel

I would be interested too. Looks good.

6. BMThiker

BMThiker I aim to misbehave Moderator SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe @Mtbcoach can chime in here, but I thought I recalled that the swaybar affected actual front wheel travel minimally. It does affect how the truck handles and body roll in off-camber situations. I haven't run my front swaybar in many years just because I prefer how it feels off road.

1911 likes this.
  7. Mtbcoach

Mtbcoach Moderator

Albums:
    Thanks @BMThiker for encouraging me to stir the pot. Like you, I went without a swaybar for most of the time I owned my FJC. And, I waffled on how much I felt the impact of when I decided to re-install it and without. Also, keep in mind that I also went through all of the OME front spring options, eventually winding up with ICON adjustable coilovers.

My personal experience was the combination of the correct spring weight in combination of removing the swaybar gave the front end suspension the best opportunity to flex/articulate. I found OME 886's too heavy to allow much movement, 884's soft but not enough spring weight to run larger tires. Having ICON's allowed me to run a spring that allowed full compression, using the adjustment ring to give me just enough lift to run the 35X10.50 tires.

Running without a swaybar had me adjusting my highway/freeway driving habits to allow plenty of space since the tall/skinny tires I ran + no swaybar + "softish" springs made the FJC something I would NOT want to perform a high-speed emergency avoidance maneuver. Instead, I pretty much knew I'd be relying upon ABS and Demello bumper up front.

With that said, I did drive it across he country several times without the front swaybar and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe while doing so.

BMThiker likes this.
  8. Skywalker

Skywalker

I would be in a market for these for sure . Wish it would come in a kit , they would sell like girl scout cookies in JF community .

ttFJC likes this.
data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">