Superwinch LP10000 on ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this winch for $199 on amazon which seems like an insane deal. Does anyone have experience with it on an 80 with an ARB bumper? There seems to be only one guy, @jvazquez53 who has tried it but not a lot of details in his thread.

To me, a 10,000 lb winch for $200 seems like a very good deal.

Amazon.com: Superwinch 1510200 LP10000 Winch, 10,000lbs/4536kg single line pull with roller fairlead, and 12' handheld remote: Automotive

57oQj9x.png

Yeah, I've posted in that thread several times. I'm just wondering why a 10,000 lb winch is so cheap.

I have the LP10000 right now. Its a good winch for the price. Has saved my back side a few times in the last 5 years i've owned it. As far as mounting it to an ARB, it's pretty straight forward. I relocated the solenoid box to behind the passenger side of the bumper due to space constraints and put spacers (~1") between the winch and mounting points on the bumper simply for clearance.

The only piece of advice I could give is before you install it, take the gearbox apart and re-grease it, I found the grease that comes with it is not the greatest. Now that being said, I haven't changed mine and I really should but I just haven't had the time, ha-ha.

I do believe it is the same as Badland, at least manufactured there, so at 10k with steel line the price is right.

Badland 12k sells for $290.

Talon, however seems to be a different animal.

I think I will go for it. For $198 you just about can't go wrong.

It not just the price when considering a winch, or any other parts.

See what the duty cycle is too, very important. Line speed when loaded, not given at 0 lbs.
Will you use synthetic line in the future? How is the brake working? Inside the drum? Outside?

I only go off-roading a few times in a year, and always with many friends that all have winches. Thus it's mostly for convenience and avoiding them making fun of me for having to pull me out. I'm not as concerned about duty cycle and line speed as long as it works those few times a year. If I was going alone out in the middle of nowhere I would be getting a Warn or other high-end winch for $1000 more.

Under load the winch is certainly slow but to be honest it doesn't really bother me. My next winch though will likely be the Superwinch Talon 12.5SR which has a much better line speed once the bank account gives the green light, ha-ha.

Well, my $198 winch has arrived and been installed. Something I wasn't aware of was that the winch assumes you mount it to a horizontal plate, and the ARB has you mounting it to the vertical part of the bumper. So, the solenoid box and clutch are pointing rearward, but they are both accessible that way still.

I did notice that the motor negative terminal and gearbox housing were both hitting the sheet metal of the ARB, so I spaced the whole contraption off with about 10mm of washers and some longer M10 bolts. Once that little hiccup was sorted out it honestly wasn't bad at all.

I will try to take some pics today!

I would forgo the washers and make two aluminum or steel rectangular spacers mounted vertically between the top and bottom holes to distributed the forces over a broader area. Better for for both the winch and bumper.

I thought about that, but the winch itself only has 4 small square posts that it normally mounts against. The washers offer a similar surface area. A 3/8" thick plate with maybe one washer between the plate and winch would be perfect.

The only piece of advice I could give is before you install it, take the gearbox apart and re-grease it, I found the grease that comes with it is not the greatest.

I did take the cover off, but it seemed to be loaded with some moly grease that looked no worse than my Palladium. Based on that, as long as it resists water intrusion I think it will be fine for my needs. A zerk would be nice to have but I think that's overthinking the problem!

The solenoid isn't clockable on it's own, you'd have to rotate the entire motor. The clutch might be doable, but i'd have scoop all the guts out and see. As-is, it's not worth it and the clearance isn't so bad.

I'll look into some proper spacing. I am both lazy and cheap which makes things tricky.

Well, my $198 winch has arrived and been installed. Something I wasn't aware of was that the winch assumes you mount it to a horizontal plate, and the ARB has you mounting it to the vertical part of the bumper. So, the solenoid box and clutch are pointing rearward, but they are both accessible that way still.

I did notice that the motor negative terminal and gearbox housing were both hitting the sheet metal of the ARB, so I spaced the whole contraption off with about 10mm of washers and some longer M10 bolts. Once that little hiccup was sorted out it honestly wasn't bad at all.

I will try to take some pics today!
I just ordered one too. Did your say it will ship in a month or 2? Mine will arrive sometime in june. Post some pics please. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom