superior engineering hand brake mod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
No. Fulcrum point on the hand brake only masks the issues further down the line. No. Just no. No.

I would totally agree with the above poster. If you adjust your handbrake correctly and maintain it then there should be no need for an aftermarket item.
I have mine adjusted correctly and it holds my vehicle just fine on an incline. If you need to due to age or wear (remember cables stretch over time and use) replace the cables that are there with new ones then adjust to hold the vehicle on an incline. This is more worthwhile than spending the money on the aftermarket items,

To me, it is just giving money to someone for the sake of it, I would rather put my money into something that I need for my vehicle.

A new parking brake cable is ~$80. I wouldn’t bother with something like that if the cable is sticking. But often times it might not be the cable, but instead the bell crank, bellows, etc.

Bell crank has been my issue multiple times. Went with the cable first. First mistake of many.

so for brake service it is FSM and are there any other good threads beyond the two below?

also is there a good way to know if you need to replace (?) bell crank or cable or bellows before opening it up?

I'd suggest you pull the brake lever cover and see if your adjusting nuts there are maxed out. Then check to see the engagement (brake shoes to drum) is correct. IF you still don't have very good action from the parking brake then likely your cable is stretched.

Brake Cable.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom