Suggestions on painting repro bezel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the white on white will get lost and the black on white may be too much of a contrast. You may want to look at a light gray to allow the letters to be seen, but not overwhelming. Subtle, that would be my course...

Good luck,

Jonathan

PS post pics of what you decide.... also you may want to try photoshop to get some direct feedback before you paint.

I think the white on white will get lost and the black on white may be too much of a contrast. You may want to look at a light gray to allow the letters to be seen, but not overwhelming. Subtle, that would be my course...

Good luck,

Jonathan

PS post pics of what you decide.... also you may want to try photoshop to get some direct feedback before you paint.

Funny that you mentioned that I was thinking that exact same thing after reading Eshu's post. A light grey color would give a little contrast but not stand out like black. Antfj makes a good point about black. I prefer the subtile look. Thanks for all of the comments and opinions I appreciate it. The maroon and majenta comments had me laughing though. :D

I believe that originally, or stock, they were Ivory Shell white with maroon letters in '61, '62, and early '63, which is why I would go this way, but this you rig, so just go with what you like best :cheers:

Last edited:
I believe that originally, or stock, they were Ivory Shell white with maroon letters in '61, '62, and early '63, which is why I would go this way, but this you rig, so just go with what you like best :cheers:

You will have to excuse my color ignorance. I was thinking that maroon was more of a purple than deep red.:confused: I had to ask the wife and look it up on the net to figure it out. I thought that suggesting the maroon was just busting my balls. :doh:

You will have to excuse my color ignorance. I was thinking that maroon was more of a purple than deep red.:confused: I had to ask the wife and look it up on the net to figure it out. I thought that suggesting the maroon was just busting my balls. :doh:

:lol::lol::lol:

If I had a white 40 and wasn't a purist :rolleyes: ...I'd probably try painting that bezel pewter to match the front bumper, with either white or black letters :meh: ...that probably wouldn't look too bad at all :hmm:

:D

Edit: I just noticed this a white on white in this thread --> https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-seri...ur-pics-your-clean-daily-driven-fj40s-49.html ...post 980...looked pretty good!

Last edited:
Got the bezel from Alex (bouthbostonfj) today in the mail. I am impressed with the handmade work. It will take a little sanding to smooth out some of the edges to get it ready for paint. I have never got a replacement part that didn't need some work b4 painting and Alex told me this before the purchase. Overall I think that it is going to be one of the nicest OEM style additions to my 40. The price is definatly right compaired to the Pacol price. I don't think that Alex is going to carry these bezels anymore after his current stock runs out because of lack of orders. I will post some pic's once I get the paint and spray it. Thanks again Alex for a great part.:D

PS: I am not trying to sell them for Alex but just passing the word if anybody else is looking to buy one at a good price.

PS: I am not trying to sell them for Alex but just passing the word if anybody else is looking to buy one at a good price.

:lol:

What about two shades of white... I think the cygnus with flat white letters would look good... Like a shadow or ghost kinda look...

You could always get some water based kids markers and try couple different ones if there was any colors you might like...

Just some thoughts(somtimes they hurt)...:hmm:

I like black and red...

That's sweet looking! I already have my rig in Chili Pepper Red, with a black bezel, but I REALLY like that bezel with the red lettering.
607619830_BUReT-L-2.jpg

Here's perhaps the dumbest question of the day..

exactly what's the best way to paint these indented letters in the bezel so that the edges are straight and neat?

Are there any fill painting tips or tricks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom