Stumped. 96 Randomly Overflows While Fueling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Mud - Hope maybe of you can help me figure this one out.

Last night I went to fill up the cruiser, was on low but fuel light wasn't on yet.
Truck was warmed up, temp was about 35* outside.
Pull up to pump, turn nozzle on, lock handle. Normally i'd pay better attention but had my girlfriend in the front seat and she was asking me something.
Turn around, fuel is dumping out from under the truck and pumps still goin.
Probably a good gallon or two on the ground.
It did this a few times before i replaced the charcoal canister with an autozone special.
Never consistently happened but my mind is boggled. No rust on the truck.
Can't find any cracks in the tank. Cant find any holes in the filler neck. lines didn't seem blocked when i checked them doing the new charcoal canister. The fuel was coming out up high on the neck somewhere and running down.

The only common denominator i can find from the few times this has happened was it being a fill up from mostly empty, but even then once was with a half tank.

What would cause the pump to not turn off? I searched and seem to be the only one who's had this issue. Wondering if my new charcoal canister is now full of fuel and trashed.

I'm puzzled.

I’m not one to comment on the charcoal canister but it could be a possible fuel pressure problem from fueling on E? Vacuum phenomenon or something

Nope - It's happened in MT, WA, OR & CA.
Did it more often before the CC change.
This is the first time in ~4 months its happened again but seems like it would have gone until manually stopped this time which sketched me out.

I’m not one to comment on the charcoal canister but it could be a possible fuel pressure problem from fueling on E? Vacuum phenomenon or something

That's what i'm wondering. Can the CC not keep up with the pump displacing volume of air/vapor and is pushing it up out of the nozzle? But when fuel is hitting the tip of the nozzle it should stop the pump. :bang:

Well those pumps, especially in CA, rely on ppm vapor and not straight fuel hitting it, definitey sketch. So that’s phesible, how much is the CC?

I could barely fuel up my brand new work truck f250 at the pumps in CA from vapor lock.

Well those pumps, especially in CA, rely on ppm vapor and not straight fuel hitting it, definitey sketch. So that’s phesible, how much is the CC?

I could barely fuel up my brand new work truck f250 at the pumps in CA from vapor lock.

Cost wise? It was like 50 bucks i think. but it's only ~2,000 miles old.

Something funky is goin on and playing with fuel spraying everywhere is not ideal that's for sure!

If the handle is not shutting off, it is the pump/gas station issue, although they still claim YOU are responsible for it.

If it shuts off too much and you cannot pump INTO it, then it's also a problem.

If the handle is not shutting off, it is the pump/gas station issue, although they still claim YOU are responsible for it.

If it shuts off too much and you cannot pump INTO it, then it's also a problem.

I'd agree, but it seems like this car is the only time i've had the issue. Is there something about the filler neck design on these that could cause it? i cant imagine there NOT being something causing this since however many other cars fill up at a busy Seattle station in a day and i'm the only one having the issue?

Essentially could be anything causing it, and maybe the only guaranteed fix is to babysit it and make sure the pump isn’t wide open, or at least use your hand to run it

/e
As you search for the proper fix of course! I know how I am with my cruiser, keep this thread alive!

Is your fill hose collapsed?

Maybe someone swapped your tank and got it kinked during reinstall?

Nope. never been touched and hose seems good still. I'll dig around more after work today.

I just recalled that there is a flapper at the inlet of the tank. Where the hose comes in is a bolted on inlet valve and maybe your flapper is hanging up either due to corrosion or someone jamming a hose into the tank and bending it or something like that.

Item 16 in the diagram.

I just recalled that there is a flapper at the inlet of the tank. Where the hose comes in is a bolted on inlet valve and maybe your flapper is hanging up either due to corrosion or someone jamming a hose into the tank and bending it or something like that.

Item 16 in the diagram.

Interesting. I'll take a look at it.
Don't think this is one that's gonna get solved over the internet unfortunately. Was hoping someone's experienced it before.
Still puzzled as to why it happens/tries to happen maybe once out of every 15 fill ups.

Interesting. I'll take a look at it.
Don't think this is one that's gonna get solved over the internet unfortunately. Was hoping someone's experienced it before.
Still puzzled as to why it happens/tries to happen maybe once out of every 15 fill ups.

I'm guessing it could be that flapper. If a spring is broke or the pin is wedges or you slosh the fuel hard and jam it.....who knows, but it may be worth looking into.

That's what i'm wondering. Can the CC not keep up with the pump displacing volume of air/vapor and is pushing it up out of the nozzle?

The vapor/carbon canister has no role when filling the tank. Fuel flows in the fill tube, vapor out to the cap area in the vent tube.

But when fuel is hitting the tip of the nozzle it should stop the pump. :bang:

Correct. Maybe I missed it, but was the fuel pouring out under the truck or from the cap hole?

I had this same thing happen ONE time in my 96 and now I’m paranoid whenever I gas up. Gas was flowing out the top of the filler neck. I’ve never had it happen in any other car. Weird.

I had this same thing happen ONE time in my 96 and now I’m paranoid whenever I gas up. Gas was flowing out the top of the filler neck. I’ve never had it happen in any other car. Weird.

If the despising valve is working correctly, fuel should never come out the filler neck opening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom