Studded snow tire options on 18" wheel?

Discussion in 'Tire and Wheel Tech' started by BigMaineWomen, Nov 19, 2018.

1. BigMaineWomen

BigMaineWomen

Is anyone running studded snows? I would really like to put a set on. My plan was to go with a tall/skinny tire, something like a 255/65R18. Problem is i can't seem to find much availability. Nokian doesnt make anything that size. Stopped in at my local tire store today and they didnt have anything. Tire rack shows me a General Grabber arctic and a firestone winterforce 2 UV but they only have 2 general grabbers left. I feel like i would tend towards the firestone anyway as they are owned by bridgestone, which makes the blizzaks and those are always well reviewed.

I think i'll try to pick up a set of used tundra steelies and get a dedicated set. Any advice?

Edit: 2004 LX470, stock tire is a 275/60R18

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. dubyahard

dubyahard SILVER Star

Media:
    Grabber ATx is studdable. Not sure if they have the size you need/want. I have them in 275/70R18

3. BigMaineWomen

BigMaineWomen

You know i think that could be a possibility. Tire rack says they are good for light snow but the LC can handle snow, it's ice i'm concerned about. I wasn't really considering that size either but i think i will give it a look. Ty!

Edit: I actually see that they make a 265/70R18, that may work.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  4. JOFS

JOFS GOLD Star

Get nokians even if you have to go a bit wider. They will perform well even if you have to get a bit wider. They do have sizes that are very close to what you want.

They make suv 9s in 265/60/18

Totally worth it. I had Hakka suv 9s on my 100s and prior had nokian LT2s. Those were 16s. I got rid of the 100
    Series trucks I had.

Now I have nokian Hakka suv9s on my 200s and LT2s on my 80

I ran them on older 100
    Series 16 inch
    Rims and then tundra trd rims I picked up
    Cheap.

Good luck
    John

5. coleAK

coleAK

Another vote for the Nokian. I have the Hakka 7 SUV in the 265/60-18 on my 7th winter. Started between 50-50% on the wear indicators. I’ll get the newest Hakka’s next winter is the same size.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.