Stuck Parking Brake? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2016 LX570 that I purchased about 18 months ago. Unfortunately, it hasn't been driven much in the past year or so due to the COVID lockdown but I have driven it in the last 30 days or so without issue.

Today when I tried to drive the vehicle, I hopped in, put it in reverse, and began to back out like normal but the truck wouldn't move. Tried changing to drive, no-go. Went back into reverse and gave it some gas...then a little more gas...nothing. Back to drive, gas, a little more gas and I managed to move slightly. It feels like the brakes are engaged but my foot isn't on the pedal. Immediately thinking that it must be the parking brake, I hit the parking brake button and received the message, "Parking brake unavailable". I put the transmission back in park, back to reverse, and drive - and it behaved the same. Killed the engine, restarted, tried again...same.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing this to happen?

Thanks!

What was the last time you drove it outside today? Not sure how the 570 system works as my 200 has a handle for the emergency brake. You could figure it out real quickly on jack stands while in neutral. Worst case is you can always remove the rear tires and pop off the rear brake discs and check. I wonder if they rusted in place...

For anyone that has rebuilt their ebrakes, does the 200 have the same bellcrank system as the 100 series? I had to completely replace/rebuild the ebrakes on my 100 because the aluminum bellcranks seized up (as I recall, this was a common problem in rust country).

When I drove it a few weeks ago, everything worked as expected - no real signs of any problems that I can recall.

She hasn't been much of a daily driver in the past year but I'd say that on average I've driven at least a short distance every thirty days or so, along with a couple of 50 mile longer drives and one 500 mile drive (though that one was about seven months ago).

For anyone that has rebuilt their ebrakes, does the 200 have the same bellcrank system as the 100 series? I had to completely replace/rebuild the ebrakes on my 100 because the aluminum bellcranks seized up (as I recall, this was a common problem in rust country).
All the brake parts on my cruiser were steel when I had it apart a few months ago. Not sure about a LX with push button parking brake though.

Time to get the mallet out. Sounds like the emergency brake shoes are stuck to the discs. Pull off the rear tires. Try and release the brake, tap the discs with mallet. If it doesn't release, use the threaded sections to turn them off. I'd be tapping that thing pretty hard with the mallet to get them to release.

If it moved at all they are no longer stuck to the drum, but the mechanism on one or both may not be releasing tension.

You’ll need to sort this out before trying to remove the drum/disk. If you attempt to pull it off using the threaded holes while the pads are engaged you can damage the anchors for the shoes and the mechanism that imparts force on them. I’m leaning toward this being a problem with the electric actuators on this LX vs it being mechanical within the brake itself, personally.

^^ Solid point. I assumed that since the vehicle moved, the discs would come off relatively easily and the actuators could be diagnosed.

Thanks for the feedback all - I really do appreciate it. I'll pull the tires off this weekend and see what I can find out.

I'm just glad no one said, "Did you hit the parting brake release-release?" J/K :D

If it's an electric button .. I would check if there is cable tension first.

Looks like the electric parking brake actuator on 16+ LX570 is a module mounted to the (US) passenger side frame rail, and has a metal guard around it. Part number 46300-60040 if you want to do an image search. The only ones I could find were too small to see good detail.

Not sure the cables will be visible.. but knowing toyota there may be a way to over-ride the motor/actuator. Not sure how you'd do this though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom