Stuck in second gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there! Pretty new to the forum, and to the FJ. My dad just gave me his 1969 FJ40 when he moved across the country. I have loved it since I was a kid, but am learning as I go about restoration. No small task for this beach runner, but I love it!!!

I'm a caregiver for the elderly by day and have only survivalist mechanical experience. But this Toy is so much fun to learn about! It has the original Toyota transmission and a 1971 Chevy 350 small block recently (and thankfully) rebuilt motor. I got it with maybe 6k miles on it, but everything else is pretty original.

Biggest thing is the bolt and bushing on the transmission mount cross rail. Any ideas where I can find another? One is missing and the other needs a bit of torque, to say the least. Cruiser Corps sells the whole kit for a couple hundred dollars, but I really just need the bolt and bushing. Any leads would be greatly appreciated!

I've recently changed the brake switch and some wiring to bring the lights back to life. Replaced the throttle cable, but noticed the heater core leaking antifreeze down the gear shaft recently. Gears began to feel a little sticky. Now I'm stuck in second gear. Clutch feels tight, like there's a connection. Maybe the cable. Jealous peddles, maybe? They seem to be enjoying the attention.

Not sure if all of this occurred in the same time frame, making it seem relevant, or if there really is a connection. Greased all zirc fittings but going to change transmission, transfer and differential oils tomorrow.

Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

-Brittnie

are you saying the transfer case propeller mount is missing a bolt and rubber donut? If so you can use a motor mount donut. You can get a bolt at Ace or Fastenal.
4EEF7640-4391-43FF-BC33-11B5118E804F.png

With the engine off you should be able to shift out of second. I assume you've tried that. If you don't have a rubber boot on the shift cane, water can get in the transmission, causing the shift rails to rust. If this rig has been sitting with the top off, it's likely rain water has filled the tranny. Before removing the drain plug, remove the fill plug.

Not sure what you mean by cables. If you are wondering about clutch. It uses hydraulic fluid. When you depress the pedal, a firewall mounted master cylinder pushes fluid to a hydraulic slave cylinder. The slave then pushes a clutch fork, allowing for shifting while under power. If you can shift outta 2nd with engine off, you probably have a master/slave cylinder issue.

Hopefully your brakes have been gone through. That's always top priority when getting an old drum brake rig road worthy.

congrats on getting your Dads old 40. If it still has the OEM 69 wiring you may want to add a fusible link. Coolerman sells them.

are you saying the transfer case propeller mount is missing a bolt and rubber donut? If so you can use a motor mount donut. You can get a bolt at Ace or Fastenal.
View attachment 2009677

With the engine off you should be able to shift out of second. I assume you've tried that. If you don't have a rubber boot on the shift cane, water can get in the transmission, causing the shift rails to rust. If this rig has been sitting with the top off, it's likely rain water has filled the tranny. Before removing the drain plug, remove the fill plug.

Not sure what you mean by cables. If you are wondering about clutch. It uses hydraulic fluid. When you depress the pedal, a firewall mounted master cylinder pushes fluid to a hydraulic slave cylinder. The slave then pushes a clutch fork, allowing for shifting while under power. If you can shift outta 2nd with engine off, you probably have a master/slave cylinder issue.

Hopefully your brakes have been gone through. That's always top priority when getting an old drum brake rig road worthy.

congrats on getting your Dads old 40. If it still has the OEM 69 wiring you may want to add a fusible link. Coolerman sells them.

Thank you! Yes. that's exactly what it is. I measured the bolt last night and wondered if the hardware store could help. I'll give it a shot today. I've been working on it every weekend, but also driving it a lot. I think that replacing the throttle cable...with a little trial and error for the conversion, made me go through more fluid than usual. It's really helpful to know that if it goes into gear while turned off, it's the cylinder.

It does have a boot over the gear shaft, but it is not fastened down. It has sat for several years with minimal drive time, but luckily with the top on. I feel that the coolant dripping from the heater core is also a culprit, and will bypass with the hose today until I decide to get it repaired. I remember it working as a kid, but it's a Summer runner. I hope to get to the floor pans this winter and heavier into the rewiring as I go along. So happy it's as simple as it is, being an older rig.

I'll check into a new bushing at Napa today as I plan on getting some SAE 90 Hypoid oil for all the gears today. Thank you so much for your response. Have a great day!

I'm not following how replacing the throttle cable would cause fluid loss.

Here's a picture of a OEM motor mount donut I used. Napa might have something similar.
View attachment 2010089

Here's a link to a downloadable FSM(factory service manual). For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Also Haynes FJ40 Repair manuals are handy, they are plentiful on ebay.
That's awesome! Thank you.

The top bushing is still there and in decent shape, the other side is a little worn from having the extra pressure , but the where the bolts screw in on mine, the intact side still has a another bushing between the bolt and frame. Then another between the cross bar and frame as illustrated in your picture. Maybe I don't need it at all..?

The idol was not adjusted properly for the conversion, and I had to use a bit more clutch than usual. I think that's where the fluid went, because it was nowhere near as low as it is prior to doing some gas peddle work.

Thank you for your input, and the links, they will come in handy. I love how detailed and clean your frame is. I can't wait to get there with mine, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom