Sttering knuckle brass bushing specifications (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am rebuilding the front axle using the steps in the service manual and i am at the steering knuckle bushing. In manual, it says to inspect bushing for wear and replace if damaged. The question is: What is the discard diameter of this bushing. On passenger side, diameter is 1.380 in and on driver side diameter is 1.325 in. while the CV joint diameter is 1.320 in where it stand on that bushing. I will replace the passenger side bushing but i don't know if i have to replace driver's side too.

I would go ahead and do both of them.

The 80's bushings are a PAIN to get out of the spindle. I had the best luck with a small cutoff wheel in my Dremel tool, cut a helical slice up thru the bushing so it can collapse and come out.

I have ordered new bushings on friday and received this morning at 110$ Can each. The new bushing are 1.329 in ID before installation. The bushing probably shrink when inserted into the spindle because of the press fit. Dealer told me that it is his first sale of those bushings. I will replace only passenger side.

Claude S said:
Dealer told me that it is his first sale of those bushings. I will replace only passenger side.

Can't say as I've heard of anyone hear replacing them as a result of an out of tolerance measurement. Don't think most even check that. Several have been replaced from being chomped up into little pieces. You ought to try C-Dan on your next OEM parts order. Typically can't beat his price and service.

:beer:
Rookie2

Claude S said:
The new bushing are 1.329 in ID before installation.

Thank you for this info. :cheers:

I have installed the new bushing and its diameter is 1.325 in. after installation

Claude,

Very considerate to post the info - I'm repacking my front axle soon and have this very bushing on my mind as I near 160k.

Regards,

DougM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom