Struts & AHC on LX570 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a 2010 LX570 with 111k miles. It needs a strut to be replaced. Does anyone know if the AHC actuator is incorporated into the strut on this vehicle? Or is it a separate component? I assume that the active damping is also part of the strut. Can anyone confirm?

Lastly, for those with higher mile 200 series, have you replaced struts / shocks? If so, how many miles roughly before replacement?

See the pic below. If in the front, the actuator is a part of the strut.
upload_2016-7-26_14-53-43.png

LCHardriver_02, thanks for the diagram. Is the AHC actuator also the shock in the rear?

Yes. You can see the hose connection at the top of the shock. The shock and actuator are one and the same. BTW, I have a 2010 too. I am still getting used to it auto-leveling at stop lights!

I've noticed the same thing w/ auto leveling at red lights.

How many miles on your LX? Any leaking shocks? Mine showed a leaking front shock at around 80k miles with the previous owner. They didn't fix, but I will. (noted on the lexus service records). thinking of doing both to keep it balanced. wondering if the back should also be replaced. vehicle has 111k miles.

Curious to learn your thoughts / experience with servicing the suspension.

Curious to learn your thoughts / experience with servicing the suspension.

I'm sitting right at 75K miles and have not seen any leaks so far. It is good to know that I should be watching them, since yours started leaking at 80K.

Had the work done at Lexus of BELLEVUE. Set me back about $1000 parts & labor for replacement of both front shocks. Piece of mind though that the vehicle handling has improved, AHC was serviced (checked, topped off, and bled) - the shocks are the "actuators" for the AHC. Now what's next? Rears?

Last edited:
$1000 for just the fronts? Ouch!

Yes, the wound is just starting to cauterize now. please... no salt!!

As these shocks are integral to the AHC, my local LC gurus at TORFAB were nervous to touch this and recommended taking it to lexus. as there are so many LX570's out there that are getting traded in at ~100k miles, and LCs in other countries with AHC from the factory, hopefully a suitable aftermarket solution to the suspension on these AHC vehicles will emerge. Or perhaps there is one out there already that I am not aware of?

Last edited:
Have you noticed any improvement in ride quality?

Yes. Front end is more stable over bumps and road imperfections.

But I am new to the vehicle and still getting used to its ride dynamics.

Lets face it, 50-100k is about the life span of most shocks (same for Lexus/Toyota?). I'm guilty of far exceeding this on other vehicles, to the detriment of the vehicle's handling. And I have encountered sketchy handling scenarios when aging components "stack-up" their out of spec performance characteristics, leading to some scary emergency road handling scenarios.

For example, on my 180k mile GX470, I had a sticking front caliper (that I was not aware of at the time), and original suspension. Upon an emergency braking situation from about 65mph, the vehicle swerved/pulled significantly to one side under heavy brake application. It was an unexpected and frightening experience. I was able to get the vehicle under control, calamity avoided. Upon trying to intentionally replicate this to diagnose the problem, it reoccurred intermittently. My mechanic diagnosed a sticking front brake caliper. After replacing the caliper this problem appeared to go away. But I am confident that an out of spec dampening system contributed to this dangerous handling issue.

Last edited:
On my 100 series, the OEM shock replacement was scheduled for 120K miles. I am pretty sure the 200 shocks are similar. With that said, the LX AHC actuators are NOT that simple, and I would expect them to have a more limited life span, but holy heck is that a serious price! I need to start a separate savings account just for those!

Being a control system engineer, I read through the literature that I could find on the AHC system to try and gain an idea of how the whole system worked. Well, it looks to be complicated enough that I HIGHLY doubt anyone will be making aftermarket replacements for this system. (My head hurt afterwards...)

Yes, the wound is just starting to cauterize now. please... no salt!!

Oh, and let us gather together for a word of prayer for healing of chipsterguy's wallet. He will need it to do the backend...

Being a control system engineer, I read through the literature that I could find on the AHC system to try and gain an idea of how the whole system worked. Well, it looks to be complicated enough that I HIGHLY doubt anyone will be making aftermarket replacements for this system. (My head hurt afterwards...)

I'll build something. A system with a traditional secondary shock would be key here.

Front shocks retail for about $250 ea. Can be had for less than that. Rears are a lot cheaper at under $50 each. Everything else should be labor and supplies, including bleeding the AHC fluid.

@marques - Are these OEM actuators and not after market shocks? The prices shock me. I have a hard time believing that you can get the rears for less than $50 for OEM replacement.

Also, if they are shocks and not actuators, WHY would you bleed the AHC system? Without the actuators, you do not have an AHC system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom