Stripped frame bolt hole (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,

I am installing a 4x4 labs diy kit. Today I got the rear xmember off and cut the frame ends down. After bolting the wings on, I noticed a bottom hole must have stripped out when I removed the trailer hitch. The included bolt just slides right in like there's nothing there.

My question is what should I do? My current plan is to run to ace hardware tomorrow and get a tap for a slightly larger bolt and the appropriate sized bolt. Does that sound reasonable?

I tried to get one of the captive nuts from the frame ends down in there, but the frame is too deep for me to get it on and I doubt there would be enough thread engagement anyways.

Thanks for your help!

I would say you're on the right track drilling and tapping up a size, as much as a pain as it might be. Or, if you can get the old nut dislodged you can drill the frame hole slightly larger and use a flanged nut of proper size to replace it. Buy a piece of thin steel rod. Tac it to the side of the nut and fish it down into place, tack the flange to the frame and the weld it around the perimeter and grind the weld flat with the frame.

I had to tap in a larger size for one and it has worked fine for years. But. . . I check it more often than I would check anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom