Straight axle converstion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Oct 7, 2011
Threads
3
Messages
5
I was wondering if going from an independent front axle to a straight axle would effect the handleing of the truck on the road and would it make the truck turn sharper or less as sharp
 
I'm not certain but I think that there may be a slight loss of turning radius going to a straight axle - especially if you use an older "closed knuckle" style. The limiting factor is really the u-joint or CV joint in the knuckle. Try and find out the max working angle of your IFS axle and compare that to whatever you want to use in your straight axle set-up (D44/D60, etc).

It's commonly accepted that both on-highway ride and handling are better with an IFS front end as each side of the suspension is largely unaffected by what the other side is doing.
 
Back
Top Bottom