Steering Wheel Squeak Be Gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you spray between the silver and white pieces or between the white and black pieces? Looks like there is a gap between both.

Also, I have some heavy duty silicone lubricant that sounds like what is being used in this thread, but the back says "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTICS". Are you guys using this stuff?

Thanks for the thread!

Mine sounds more like a scratching or scraping than a squeek. I looked in the access on the side of the steering wheel and the white plastic rings aren't nearly as exposed as those in the OP. The scraping sound in mine sounds more like it's coming from under the column trim pieces.

Any thoughts on what is in there that is scraping? Steering angle sensor?

Also, I have some heavy duty silicone lubricant that sounds like what is being used in this thread, but the back says "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTICS". Are you guys using this stuff?

I'm pretty sure the "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTICS" gives you your answer on whether you should use it or not.

Mine sounds more like a scratching or scraping than a squeek. I looked in the access on the side of the steering wheel and the white plastic rings aren't nearly as exposed as those in the OP. The scraping sound in mine sounds more like it's coming from under the column trim pieces.

Any thoughts on what is in there that is scraping? Steering angle sensor?

I'm pretty sure the "NOT FOR USE ON PLASTICS" gives you your answer on whether you should use it or not.

Agreed. Though, I saw OP mentioned using "HD silicon" and someone else said silicon grease? I'm not sure what is appropriate here because part of the mechanism looks like metal. I found some Heavy Duty Silicon multi-use silicon lubricant that sounds about right, but has the warning on the back.

Worked like a charm. Thanks Rob.

For months the steering wheel in my 100 would creak and squeak when off center say at 10 or 2. Today I decided to look into the matter. I have seen various threads talking about the squeak and various "try this" scenarios. Here is what fixed mine.

First there as a big ass rubber cap at the firewall which looks like it has the potential to squeak - the cap covers the linkage of the steering shaft. Not my squeak in this case.

I listened very closely to the noise and it's location and determined it was behind the steering wheel. I removed the upper and lower cover of the column at the dash and listened more. It's coming from the clock spring area. That of course has been discussed, but it's not coming from the area behind those covers. It's coming from inside the wheel! Well the area covered behind the airbag.

Thankfully Toyota has access panels for steering wheel controls (Cruise on the right, blank on the left in my case) I opened both panels and gave a healthy squirt of HD silicone from each side - into the shaft and spring area. Problem Solved.

If it comes back... 2 minute fix. You're welcome.

Access Panel on Wheel

View attachment 532676

Inside the wheel from left side

View attachment 532677
View attachment 532676View attachment 532677

thank you!

Saw this from a LX470 dealer repair history.

DESCRIPTION: STEERING WHEEL MAKES A SQUEAKING NOISE WHEN TURNING CLIENT STATE NOISE CAN BE HEARD WHEN CAR IS COLD

SERVICE: ST COLUMN PRELOAD INCORRECT LUBE ST COLUMN TUBE SET PRELOAD

Does anyone know what to do when the squeak *IS* coming from the rubber boot down by the footwell? If I pull the collar of it away from the shaft and turn the wheel it makes no noise, but if it’s able to to rest at it’s normal angle it squeaks and groans. But i can’t really see anywhere to spray lube into that area clearly.

How do you spray this area for an LX where the steering wheel tilt knob is in the way?

Where did you apply the spray ? Will the silicone not interfere with all the wiring harness and clips. Did you just spray the entire area ? I just replaced the click spring and both power till motors. Thought the click spring would fix this it did not. Still has that plastic on plastic squeak. I did place some lube on the steering shaft and around the plastic and metal rings around the bolt. Any help would be awesome. !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom