Steering wheel shake - steering wheel rotates when yanking tire at 3 & 9 o'clock (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
I have been trying to get rid of a steering wheel shake at speed for a long time, i recently refreshed the entire front end of the truck, UCA, ball joints, steering rack, tie rod ends.
Truck still had a shake so i jacked up the front and grabbed the tire at 3 & 9 thinking it may be the bearings. But when I yank side to side there is a clunk and the steering wheel turns side to side.

Does anyone have any clue what the culprit could be? I can see the u joint and shaft that goes to the steering wheel is turning slightly as well.

2000 LX with 225k miles. Thank you for any ideas or help diagnosing.

Hello everyone,
I have been trying to get rid of a steering wheel shake at speed for a long time, i recently refreshed the entire front end of the truck, UCA, ball joints, steering rack, tie rod ends.
Truck still had a shake so i jacked up the front and grabbed the tire at 3 & 9 thinking it may be the bearings. But when I yank side to side there is a clunk and the steering wheel turns side to side.

Does anyone have any clue what the culprit could be? I can see the u joint and shaft that goes to the steering wheel is turning slightly as well.

2000 LX with 225k miles. Thank you for any ideas or help diagnosing.
The steering wheel also has some play in it side to side when “locked”. I can’t upload a video for some reason but will keep trying.

Last edited:
Hey…did you ever get this sorted? I’m getting the same 3-9 play and movement up my steering column. Thx

Hey…did you ever get this sorted? I’m getting the same 3-9 play and movement up my steering column. Thx
Ended up being wheel bearings, one side had play one didn’t. After I replaced the side with play it got better but the shake was still there so I replaced the other side and it went away. This was after I tried re-packing with new grease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom