Steering shaking when hit bumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2010 lx570 brand new Michelin LTX tires wheel alignment was done when I'm on the highway if I hit sharp bumps like expansion Joints I can feel the bump make the steering wheel twitch a little it seems to be a little less noticeable if I put the shock absorber settings to sport mode I adjusted the tire pressure is to 33 PSI cold just wondering if anybody else has had this experience with this vehicle

Stock wheels?

I have a 2010 lx570 brand new Michelin LTX tires wheel alignment was done when I'm on the highway if I hit sharp bumps like expansion Joints I can feel the bump make the steering wheel twitch a little it seems to be a little less noticeable if I put the shock absorber settings to sport mode I adjusted the tire pressure is to 33 PSI cold just wondering if anybody else has had this experience with this vehicle

You're not giving me a lot of info, so I'll make some assumptions - you can correct me if I'm wrong.

If your tires are the ISO-Metric 285/50R20/XL 116H Michelin Defender LTX M/S, then the Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure is 34psi F/R. So tire pressure looks close enough @33psi not to be the cvause of your problem.

If your tire size is different, please advise.

HTH

I hope they tightened the locknuts on the linkage when they adjusted the alignment. I had a shop leave a lock nut loose on a Celica I owned once and it did what you are describing.

120k. No accident damage. Has original tie rods only owned it for 3 weeks. It isn't tugging the wheel violently it's just I can feel the bump in the steering wheel. Not the soft rolling kind of bumps but the ones that are sharper or harsher when you go over them. Most noticeable at highway speeds.

What type of cars have you had previously?

I can't say that I feel much kickback through the steering wheel when hitting sharp transitions. Though this vehicle is a body on frame vehicle. Along with a solid rear axle. There is some secondary motions, not so much through the steering, but in the chassis if one is really looking for it.

This is in contrast to many modern unibody vehicles with independent suspensions that have tighter NVH and isolation.

Perhaps it's an expectation thing based on your previous vehicles? Are you feeling any odd body motions, or just really through the steering? Some circles would see feedback through the steering as a good thing.

Not trying to rule out mechanical issues either. At 120k, it should be pretty darn drum tight still. As a Land Cruiser, abuse to a normal vehicle, would pretty much be shrugged off by this 200-series.

Bring it into the shop if you have concerns. Hard for us to diagnose something like feel, remotely. They have pretty standard tests to identify if there's abnormal deflection in the suspension or wheel. e.g. put car on lift and tug at wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock, 12 and 6 o'clock, test deflection with prybars. Could be bearings, steering rack, bushings, tie rod, you name it.

I asked about wheels earlier as many low offset aftermarket wheels would exacerbate odd steering feedback. Got a picture of your ride? I doubt there's wheel spacers in there but one never really knows what the previous owner did.

I think the characteristics of the body on frame makes the most sense. I just sold my 2000 landcruiser that I owned for 10 years which very well may have done this to some degree (I might just be hyper sensitive with this new purchase) I wonder if the sidewall being so much shorter than my 275/70/16 that was on my 100 series could be contributing? Now that you mention it you are right about that secondary feel as when I feel this in the steering wheel I can also feel it throughout the chassis. I drove to work this morning with a maximum speed of 65 mph and didn't notice it very much. It seems to be related to how fast you are going when you go over those types of bumps. I will have the front end checked out anyway though. How long are the stock shock absorbers supposed to last on these rigs? Time and mileage on average? Thanks

20190312_110053.jpg

Last edited:
At 120k, I suspect your shocks are probably done. Any bushings in the front end may be done as well.

At 120k, I suspect your shocks are probably done. Any bushings in the front end may be done as well.

Do AHC "shocks" degrade with age or leak when failing? I was under the impression it was the latter.

I have 150K on my LX, zero front end work and i haven't experienced this behavior, I noticed it when I had my 911 lowered but not on the LX. Next time out on the hwy I'll throw it in comfort mode and see if it make a difference.

Thank you, it is kind of a shudder felt in the whole chassis and yes i am on the sensitive side when it comes to my vehicles. Thanks, anxious to hear your feedback, (make sure you try it at 70 mph plus (seems to exaggerate the concern)

I am sensitive to sounds and feeling also. They just go through the vehicle and into my body, so I get the feeling. I was coming home from Portland on I5 last Sunday. During the trip I brought the LX up to 85-90mph more than a couple times and thought, well this is lot better than my 80.

I would jack up your front wheels and also check for play or bring it to a shop like a Les S and tell them you feel something and would like an estimate to repair, it should be free (other than the time).

I am heading to SLC and Park City to visit our daughter at the UofU so it will be a few days, I don't mud on my mobile.

Worn ball joints, tie rods, and possibly steering rack bushes.

I’ve had the same thing, it can all be fixed, it just gets expensive if you have to pay someone else to figure it out. But we can help.

First I would jack up each front wheel, see if you can move the tires in and out from the fender well at the 12 o'clock position, and from the lead edge of the tire, and from the 6 o'clock position. If you get play, a slight knocking in and out, some looseness, that is worn components. It's free and it will either eliminate those components being the issue, or let you hone in on a problem.

If the top of the tire has play, it's the upper ball joints. If the lead edge of the tire has play, it's the tie rods. If the bottom of the tire has play, it's the lower ball joints. If you can lift the whole front end off the ground, and work the lead edges of the tires, and you see the tiniest movement on the other tire, the steering rack bushes are worn.

Last edited:
Could be misaligned, I would bring if back and have them check it.

Worn ball joints, tie rods, and possibly steering rack bushes.

I’ve had the same thing, it can all be fixed, it just gets expensive if you have to pay someone else to figure it out. But we can help.

First I would jack up each front wheel, see if you can move the tires in and out from the fender well at the 12 o'clock position, and from the lead edge of the tire, and from the 6 o'clock position. If you get play, a slight knocking in and out, some looseness, that is worn components. It's free and it will either emanated those components being the issue, or let you hone in on a problem.

If the top of the tire has play, it's the upper ball joints. If the lead edge of the tire has play, it's the tie rods. If the bottom of the tire has play, it's the lower ball joints. If you can lift the whole front end off the ground, and work the lead edges of the tires, and you see the tiniest movement of the other tire, the steering rack bushes are worn.

My old 03 Tacoma had a shake in the steering wheel due to the steering rack so definitely worth checking.

Did it do it before the new tires?

Thanks, I will hopefully check all of this weekend. I put the tires on shortly after I purchased it so I don't recall if it did it before the tires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom