Steering Play Issue - Only one side? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NorCalFJ100

SILVER Star
Threads
I know this has been discussed ad nauseum...But I did not really see any responses regarding play only to one side of the steering wheel.

ALL bushings are brand new OEM. Everything torqued. TRE's are all brand new 555. Wheel bearings are brand new OEM and in tolerance. Lug nuts are tight. Steering stabilizer is new OME. I do have a 2.5" lift, but have Landtank caster correction plates. I had an alignment done and all is within spec including caster.

My truck drives super smooth down the highway. No wandering. Drives straight and tracks fine when changing lanes, etc.

My only issue is that there is a significant amount of play in the steering wheel to the right/passenger side. Basically I can move the steering wheel ever so slightly to the left and the wheels will respond. I have to move it maybe 2-3" to the right to get the same response from the wheels.

I read about the steering box adjustment, but I feel like my situation is unique because it's only really bad on one side.

Could the steering box just need replacement at this point? Something is obviously not tight somewhere to cause the amount of uneven play.

Thoughts?

Could be caused by the crown of the road. Find a remote road, no traffic etc., try driving on the opposite side of the road and see if the play becomes more neutral or biased to the left.

Could be caused by the crown of the road. Find a remote road, no traffic etc., try driving on the opposite side of the road and see if the play becomes more neutral or biased to the left.

It's been the same exact experience on every type of road and at all speeds.

Someone has experience with this, don't they?

tried adjusting the drag link just a thought my steering wheel was off some and after centering the steering wheel I did have play and took a bit of adjusting to get the play equal (very little adjustments turning the drag link)

Last edited:
Alignment is perfect, per the alignment machine. I suppose it could be out of spec. But I don't know how to challenge the shop when their machine says it's all good

I reme
Alignment is perfect, per the alignment machine. I suppose it could be out of spec. But I don't know how to challenge the shop when their machine says it's all good
adjusting this want adjust the alignment just the steering wheel - leave it on the ground and adjust the drag link had my daughter tell me which way the steering wheel is turning and when its centered adjust very small turns of the link like small movements thats it and the play should equal out

1) Center the steering gear in its travel left to right
2) Check the orientation where the steering wheel rests after this. It may NOT be centered.
3) Note where the truck drives in relation to the steering wheel position determines in #2. This will determine if the drag link is centering the GEAR or the WHEEL
4) Center the gear again and adjust the drag link so the gear is in center when going straight down the road.
5) remove the rag joint under the steering column to rotate the steering wheel to the correct straight ahead position with the wheels in the straight ahead position, with the gear centered.

Now your "play" should be centered on the travel of the truck.
Now adjust your steering gear lash with the nut and screw.

Just FYI: adjusting the drag link wont affect your alignment, just the relationship of the steering wheel to the tires. So your alignment could be 100% perfect and the drag link still a little out.

Hey this is exactly what I needed. Thanks for your help @hward1 @BILT4ME @Heckraiser

When I get back to my truck in a few days I am going to try and dial this in per the instructions!

1) Center the steering gear in its travel left to right
2) Check the orientation where the steering wheel rests after this. It may NOT be centered.
3) Note where the truck drives in relation to the steering wheel position determines in #2. This will determine if the drag link is centering the GEAR or the WHEEL
4) Center the gear again and adjust the drag link so the gear is in center when going straight down the road.
5) remove the rag joint under the steering column to rotate the steering wheel to the correct straight ahead position with the wheels in the straight ahead position, with the gear centered.

Now your "play" should be centered on the travel of the truck.
Now adjust your steering gear lash with the nut and screw.

I am just getting back to my truck this week and will have time to dial this in. Do you think I need to have the front end up on jackstands to have the weight off the wheels in order to dial this all in?

Just FYI: adjusting the drag link wont affect your alignment, just the relationship of the steering wheel to the tires. So your alignment could be 100% perfect and the drag link still a little out.

Just curious, wouldn't an alignment shop be responsible to dial all this in? Perhaps I can bring it back there...or another competent shop. I am learning about the straight axle suspension system. So they only thing that adjusts the "alignment" is the tie rod bar? The drag link helps return to straightness and helps with the steering wheel alignment?

My neighbor has a home alignment tool. Maybe I should borrow that! Haha.

Yeah, really the only alignment thing that's adjustable (without installing parts) is the toe which is achieved by adjusting the tie rod ends. Drag link is adjustable, but doesn't actually change the way the tires point in relationship to the vehicle. What the shop probably does is adjust the toe and then when they're done, they sit in the drivers seat and see if the wheel is still pointing straight. If it looks close enough, they call it good. You don't really get a feel for the slightly-out-of-straightness until you drive it on the road. It can take several attempts to get it right where you want it, which is not something a typical alignment shop is going to spend much time on. It's even harder to dial in with an old sloppy steering gearbox.

Yeah, really the only alignment thing that's adjustable (without installing parts) is the toe which is achieved by adjusting the tie rod ends. Drag link is adjustable, but doesn't actually change the way the tires point in relationship to the vehicle. What the shop probably does is adjust the toe and then when they're done, they sit in the drivers seat and see if the wheel is still pointing straight. If it looks close enough, they call it good. You don't really get a feel for the slightly-out-of-straightness until you drive it on the road. It can take several attempts to get it right where you want it, which is not something a typical alignment shop is going to spend much time on. It's even harder to dial in with an old sloppy steering gearbox.

Yeah, it's interesting because the steering wheel is straight. It just doesn't have equal play to the left and right side. So I guess this is the fine tuning I need to do. Then like @BILT4ME stated, I need to adjust the lash to try and tighten that up a bit.

On another note, I took my truck on a nasty trail the week before and slightly bent my drag link, so I am in the process of replacing that prior to this fine tuning of course.

Thank you @BILT4ME @Heckraiser @hward1 @ppc I replaced my recently bent drag link with one from @sleeoffroad and with everyone's advice, I was able to get the steering wheel adjusted so the play was right in the middle. It actually felt like there was less play for some reason now once I centered everything...In addition I also replaced the firewall gasket and coupler. No adjustment to the lash in the box. I figured I would save that for last. Not 100% sure I even need to do it now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom