Starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son’s 1996 80 has had intermittent starting issues for a while. Turn the key and it cranks find]e sometime and then others it wouldn’t turn over. Lights were always on the dash if it cranked or not. I previously rebuilt the starter and wondered if something went sideways there but haven’t touch the starter again.

I decided to replace the original fusible link and it’s still doing the same thing.

The battery appeared to be old from the date on it and I noticed it barely held the colts needed for a crank. Alternator was good.

Today I decided to replace the battery. Auto one dropped a new one in for me on my way to work. Cranked fine, although the engine revved up a bit which I thought was weird. Turned it off and it cranked fine again with no revving. Drive to the office and after work cranked fine. I hoped I solved the problem!

I got home and I decided to turn it off and crank it again and see what happened. I got nothing. No lights even this time. Completely dead.

Checked battery and have a full charge. Checked all the fuses under the hood and they are good. All fuses under steering wheel on left are good.

Thoughts on where to look next? Could it be the ignition switch that’s now out completely?

Thanks for your help!

My son’s 1996 80 has had intermittent starting issues for a while. Turn the key and it cranks find]e sometime and then others it wouldn’t turn over. Lights were always on the dash if it cranked or not. I previously rebuilt the starter and wondered if something went sideways there but haven’t touch the starter again.

I decided to replace the original fusible link and it’s still doing the same thing.

The battery appeared to be old from the date on it and I noticed it barely held the colts needed for a crank. Alternator was good.

Today I decided to replace the battery. Auto one dropped a new one in for me on my way to work. Cranked fine, although the engine revved up a bit which I thought was weird. Turned it off and it cranked fine again with no revving. Drive to the office and after work cranked fine. I hoped I solved the problem!

I got home and I decided to turn it off and crank it again and see what happened. I got nothing. No lights even this time. Completely dead.

Checked battery and have a full charge. Checked all the fuses under the hood and they are good. All fuses under steering wheel on left are good.

Thoughts on where to look next? Could it be the ignition switch that’s now out completely?

Thanks for your help!
That would still point to the starter solenoid contacts and/or battery cables.

Check to make sure that FatsoZone cleaned your cable ends and properly tightened them.
Make sure your cables are properly connected on the Starter end.

Check to make sure your engine and body ground cables are still mounted and have clean connections ((6) under the hood)

Thanks for your help!
Start with the simplest thing first. Make sure all the connections are tight and corrosion free.

*disregard, looks like you already solved the problem.

Lil Rant: This is why I Support Mud - Consistent Sound Advice & Recommendations if your Just willing to Search.

Someone on here has the Answer 95% of the time.

Good on you for Digging into it yourself.

This Site makes Maintaining Cruisers a Lot Less Hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom