Starting issue? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, the truck has been taking quite a while to crank before it starts nowadays. Worse in the morning or any period of time it sits for a while.

I think I've figured it out... When I turn it to ACC the pump doesn't prime. I can hear the glow plugs click and then nothing, dead quiet. Before you'd be able to hear the pump priming but now it's not anymore. However, there seem to be no other symptoms with the truck running, once it's on it runs good.

Is this just the fuel pump needing to be replaced or could there be something else? Thanks.

What vehicle/engine? I’d still suspect glow plugs. Did you check them for voltage?

What vehicle/engine? I’d still suspect glow plugs. Did you check them for voltage?
Hey 1994 land cruiser Prado - kzj78 with a 1kzte. I did not check them for voltage no... But previously I was able to hear the pump priming with the key turned. Also it *usually* starts right up if it was running within the hour.

our recent cold weather has really affected my cold start, one battery that load tests really good struggles to turn the motor and run almost making it flat, my solution before I did glow plugs and other things first was to trial a second battery hooked up and wow what a difference, the power of to semi stuffed batteries turns my motor really quick making it fire up almost straight away, it blows a crap load of white smoke as well ( lots of unburnt diesel)
so what my second battery has done is really mask a lot of other problems I reckon- like bad glow plugs, low compression, worn starter motor, bad earths?

however head ache over for another cold season, check your batteries, motor should turn really quickly, I only noticed this when my neighbor was over in his 95 series prado with the 1KZTE and his sounded really quick turning over with no struggles , I think I just got used to mine over time and never really noticed the slow turning over

When I turn it to ACC the pump doesn't prime

Where is this pump located? Is it normal to have to turn it to ACC? Normally you just go to ON
I would say you have air in the fuel lines. It could be the glow plugs, this usually results in clouds of white smoke when they start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom