Starter clicks and no start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 94 80 series was running great and then I started having starting trouble. Battery is a new optima yellow top and the battery clamps are new heavy duty terminals so the battery shouldn't be the problem. I also have a new fusible link installed recently. I removed the old starter and got it tested and it was not spinning at all. Bought a new starter and it worked perfect for 6 consecutive starts and then it started "clicking" again and failed to start with the NEW starter. The bell housing near the starter had what looked like booger weld marks on it so I think it's grounding out to the bell housing, is this even possible? Looking to get my LC back to being reliable again. 243k miles on the truck with only 33k miles on a new motor. No automatic starter and it's a base model with no alarm so let me know if I need to disclose any other details for help in diagnosing my problem. Please help!!!

I had the same issue. Many folks recommended the hot shot kit. I replaced the starter, batter cables, battery, checked all the grounds, fusible links, checked and cleaned the NSS . Since I did the kit a couple weeks ago, no more problems. Some also recommended the ford solenoid which looks like a good option as well. I went with the kit because everything i needed was included.

http://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/30202.pdf

I have the solenoid setup for at least 8 years, no starter issues.A mechanic told me that when the flywheel gets old, have a tendency to wear out a bit. That creates problems with starting the vehicle. I don't know how true is this but considering that the newest 80s are 21 years old, this could be true...

I have the solenoid setup for at least 8 years, no starter issues.A mechanic told me that when the flywheel gets old, have a tendency to wear out a bit. That creates problems with starting the vehicle. I don't know how true is this but considering that the newest 80s are 21 years old, this could be true...
What is the solenoid setup? Details please...

332000 miles on the flexplate teeth are fine. where did you get you starter from? the box store starters pretty much suck, you will be swapping them out every 6-14 months. you can pick up a factory rebuilt from DENSO for about 200. search web for 28100-66050 although they don't make the 2.2kw starter anymore, it's the one to look for. you will most likely get a 2.0kw starter that is currently in your 80, but factory fresh and without worry. either works flawlessly on the 94.

Last edited:
I got it from napa only because of the warranty, I usually go all oem but have a baby on the way and figured a starter wasn't a big deal. I'm stumped as to what it is and am curious about the solenoid setup

What is your battery voltage? I would double check the battery terminals are on tight and haven't loosened up. Check all your connections. Denso starters are definitely worth the money and far superior and worth the extra money.

In my experience, when you get a click when trying to start a cruiser, it usually is the starter contacts. Of course, that's after you make sure the battery connection is good.

I am going to go the relay route, I think I can get one a lot cheaper than the painless hot shot kit, but can anyone let me know how to route the connections and what gauge wiring I need to use on the system.

Update, just took the $129 aftermarket starter back and got a 2.2kw oem starter with 68k miles ($65) on it and the Painless hot shot ($37) for cheaper than the aftermarket starter. Will be installing it ASAP and will post the update... let's hope it works, The best part is my high idle went down from 1k to 800 rpm's since I had the battery unplugged -now I just need to fix the O2 sensors to get the CEL to turn off! Hope the new starter and relay work!

Update, just took the $129 aftermarket starter back and got a 2.2kw oem starter with 68k miles ($65) on it and the Painless hot shot ($37) for cheaper than the aftermarket starter. Will be installing it ASAP and will post the update... let's hope it works, The best part is my high idle went down from 1k to 800 rpm's since I had the battery unplugged -now I just need to fix the O2 sensors to get the CEL to turn off! Hope the new starter and relay work!
5 years later.

You still haven't posted the update...........

5 years later.

You still haven't posted the update...........
Probably still fighting with the starter or sold the truck. Mine with the Ford solenoid still running strong.

In my experience, when you get a click when trying to start a cruiser, it usually is the starter contacts. Of course, that's after you make sure the battery connection is good.
2x on this. I chased this problem all over the engine bay. In the end, it was a loose positive terminal. 🫠

Lol, so the baby is now 5 years old and I’ve finally got time for an update, sorry… I rebuilt the 2.2kw starter with OEM parts and that did the trick -I haven’t had any issues since. OEM only is key.

I also cleaned the NSS and everything mentioned by Cuaround but I didn’t end up using the hotshot kit and still have the hotshot stored away just in case I need it later down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom