start up squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
fellows, i need your wisdom on this since this has been driving me nuts. the rig is 1hdt and almost 300K on the clock. when i start it up in the morning there is this squeal. i replaced all belts with original toyota. i replaced ac tensioner bearing, alternator bearings. i also replaced water pump with original toyota when i saw coolant leaking from crankshaft pulley which i traced coming from the water pump weep hole. while i was there, i also changed timing belt and idler-tensioner all with original toyota parts...the squeal is still there.i tried doing the spray bottle test on pulleys.no change in sound.the pulleys were checked for alignment when i placed in new belts.i now think the noise is coming from somewhere else aside from the belt area.has anyone experienced this?sound disappears when warm.thanks

i did search and most of it point to belt and pulley...then i also checked the turbo.cleaned the intakes and clamped well

How long does it make the noise? Have you had someone else start the truck while you have the hood open to listen?

How long does it make the noise? Have you had someone else start the truck while you have the hood open to listen?

Until it reaches operating temperature of about 10 minutes.then when you restart for the rest of the day, no squeal.just the first start

I can't think of anything that would cause a noise that long in duration. Are the inside surfaces of the pulleys glazed or worn unevenly?Are there any oil leaks getting onto the drive belts? I would get a stethoscope, a piece of rubber hose, long screwdriver, stick etc. and place one end on the various parts and the other end against your ear. The noise will be transmitted loudest by the suspect component. Is the power steering fluid level up to full? The other thing would be to remove the belts to see if the noise goes away.

i topped power steering fluid up.no fluid leaks except at the power steering pump where there is a mist of atf.and pulleys look ok.i have been probing with a hose during start up.i will try as you suggested to remove one belt at a time to isolate the noise.thanks

i topped power steering fluid up.no fluid leaks except at the power steering pump where there is a mist of atf.and pulleys look ok.i have been probing with a hose during start up.i will try as you suggested to remove one belt at a time to isolate the noise.thanks

Check the fan clutch.

update: i removed all fan belts to isolate the noise.but the squeal persists.only on start up and not consistent on how long it would make the noise.it almost sounded like a fanbelt,pulley or bearing but not.i probed with a hose to my ear as suggested.power steering pump and vacuum pump are smooth.just before i could probe the underneath,the noise diappeared.i couldnt replicate it when the engine is warm.i need to probe it on the first start in the morning again.

Did you use a belt tension gauge or install by feel? What I thought was tight Was less than 1/2the spec ft lbs.

My steering pump has a similar small leak and squeals on startup, then goes away when warm, then groans when truck is at full operating temp.

Check the fan clutch.
i have isolated the front components since i tested it without all fanbelts and noise was still there

Did you use a belt tension gauge or install by feel? What I thought was tight Was less than 1/2the spec ft lbs.
by feel, and by a deflection of 1cm at longest span of belt. but the noise doesnt seem to come from front of engine

My steering pump has a similar small leak and squeals on startup, then goes away when warm, then groans when truck is at full operating temp.
does the steering pump also make the noise without steering input? even when going straight?

I installed a timing belt too tight on a Honda once, it sqealed & I started to see bits of rubber powder (5+ hrs running time).

I ordered a new timing belt, R & R, done deal.

There was a ambiguous “tight when little effort to turn belt 90*” - Maybe I hamfisted it on the 1st try, watched a youtube video of how slack a pro left them & adjusted on 2nd belt.

YMMV, just a been there, done that from my exp.

@PHIL O - harder to hear when moving, but does make noise when sitting still in park.

Try belt dressing to see if that gets rid of it. Cheap to try and will essentially eliminate the belts from consideration.

i have isolated the front components since i tested it without all fanbelts and noise was still there

by feel, and by a deflection of 1cm at longest span of belt. but the noise doesnt seem to come from front of engine

does the steering pump also make the noise without steering input? even when going straight?

Any updates???

i have been replacing rubber welting along the fender flares this weekend...so no updates yet until i started it up for the first time in three days,it's beginning to sound more like a bearing sound now.i will wait till it is obvious enough just hoping it wouldnt be disastrous

the squeal i hear upon start up might have come from transmission because it has finally lost pressure.brought it to the shop in a tow truck.the transmission just lost pressure then the atf light came up and couldnt pull anymore.no leak but smells like burnt atf.it was a start up squeal that seems to go away after some time.but i recently traced the sound to come from transmission

Which transmission is in your model?

the firewall stamp indicates a a442f transmission.has anyone experienced this problem on a a442f?symptoms were start up squeal that seems to go away when driven off.i also noticed a powersteering-like groan at higher rpm.may be related to the transmission.because steering doesnt make a sound if steered from lock to lock.interestingly,the sound doesnt go away when in neutral.what can possibly make a bearing-like squeal in the transmission?truck is a 1991 and i think the a442f on it thehydraulic type (not eletronic) if there is such a type.thanks fellows for the inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom