stalls and runs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
71 with 74 F2 with XR700 Fireball ignition
Was driving along at 40mph when it died. Popped the clutch and it started . kept driving.
About 8 miles later at a stop sign it died again. This time it wouldn't start. I checked fuel flow at the carb and looked for loose wires. Plenty of fuel and no loose wires.
Sat for about 10 minutes contemplating calling for a tow but tried to start it. Ity fired right up!

Took off down a freeway ramp, accelerated to about 50...and it died. Popped the clutch again and it started up. I was approaching a narrow no room to pull over section of freeway, so I pulled over on a side row and called for a tow. When he dropped me off at home I fired it up and parked it.

I can't find anything obvious. A friend suggested a vapor lock, but there was no altitude issue...driving from 30' to maybe 2000' and back down.
I replaced the coil about 4 months ago.

does anyone have any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Pure guess here but I had this happen on an 85 Toyota pickup with fuel injection. Was a frayed wire on fuel pump in that instance that would get knocked apart on bumps and back together on others. My guess is you’ve got an electrical issue stopping spark via bad ground or something on coil. That’s why it goes in and out inconsistently.

Check the idle stop solenoid on carb(?). Easy check, you should hear click when you turn ignition key (not start).

I don't have either a ballast resistor or an idle stop solenoid.
My carb is a Holley 4412

the xr700 is supposed to be used with a ballast. A standard coil will get hot without a ballast . After a while it will break down internally. The car will start and run for a while, as the coil heats up the car will die. When the coil cools down again the car will start, rinse repeat., similar to your symptoms.

Been running without ballast for quite awhile...but will double check my coil in the morning
Thanks

I doubt your 4412 is the problem, but here's some gee whiz info about your carb:
1. We quit selling the Holley 500 carbs because we had to install 3 size smaller jets, and a 1/2 size smaller power valve to even get them to work on the Landcruiser engine. We sold Holley 350's for most the years Downey Off Road Mfg. was in business, they were perfect right out of the box.
2. Even if you keep your Holley 500, I'd suggest you look at ebay #265210899173, especially the 3 drawings.
3. Don't know if you have a very righteous cable linkage hook-up, look at ebay #265143683037, see cable mounting bracket, very decent set-up.

Thanks Pithicus...
My coil is bad/questionable. Leads to another question about ballast and in-coil resistance...

If I use a coil with built in resistance, will adding a ballast resistor cause problems/issues with anything?

If I use a coil with built in resistance
You can try a coil designed for 12v [ie no ballast required] . It might be hard to start in cold weather, but if your battery is good it should be ok.
Or you can fit a ballast and a 8v coil and wire it up to the original fj40 wiring. ** that is,, the ballast is bypassed when cranking only, and once started the ballast powers the coil with about 8v.

Last edited:
I am at a loss. I had planned to get a non-ballasted coil and put a ballast resistor with it. Never ran across an 8v

I am at a loss. I had planned to get a non-ballasted coil and put a ballast resistor with it. Never ran across an 8v
Yes sorry a 8v coil is a coil that is designed to use a ballast. A 12v coil is a non ballast coil. Don't use a ballast with a non ballast [12v] coil. The reason for the ballast system is to put a higher voltage into the coil when cranking. If you swap in a non ballast 12v coil it's likely to work just fine providing your battery is in good condition. I have read many times this is not a problem. It may be an issue if your battery is not up to scratch.

I'm speculating that your old coil was the type designed to be used with a ballast ie an 8v coil, and it slowly cooked due to the 12v feeding it.

*** when I said the xr700 is supposed to be used with a ballast, it was working without one before, and I see no reason a non ballast 12v coil will not work.
Also I think the 12v non ballast coils have a internal resistance of 3 ohms

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem with my fireball ignition. after months of messing with it I determined that the "black box" was defective.
I put the old ignition points in the dissy and yanked out the crane system. Haven't had any problems since.
That worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom