SSB CB? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Only if the guys you wheel with have it too, otherwise it's useless.
I'm putting a giant old SSB Uniden radio in my 74, I bought it back when there were a couple of club guys that had them as well. I don't believe anyone has one anymore, so I guess you and I could chat at 12W...

Get your ham ticket and put the extra CB $$$ towards a mobile instead!

That reminds me, I should keep up my dues in the SARC club and study for the HAM exam... IH8 studying. :meh:

But if the dif is only $40, maybe it might be worth the $. There was a Cobra unit capable of 20W for sale on BC4x4. Yes, I know its illegal because it can real mess up TV recption. However, I was still tempted. How many people are going to complain 60 kms into the bush...

How many people are going to complain 60 kms into the bush...

Well, the other guys on the run might complain. I've been out with a few guys with walked on CBs and they've been a drag in close range communication. Sound quality of the transmission was distorted and over powered.
Besides, if you have a 20W cb and everyone else's is 4W, from some distance they may hear you but won't be able to communicate back.

BTW, SSB only transmit at 12W when you're on one of the side bands - which you can only use when the person you're talking to has a SSB radio. Otherwise you'll be on AM, and back to 4W. You probably knew this anyway...

CB is best as a short range solution. When you want more than that it really is worth the time and effort to go for your ham ticket. It totally makes sense for you, even if the studying is a PITA.

Thanks for the links Norm. There also a Cobra 29 WX NW ST on Craigslist with an asking price of $80. Wonder if the NW is worth a few extra $. I do travel a fair bit at night.

If not those, then the Radio World 18 WX ST Refurbished for $30 looks like a good deal. I was looking there yesterday but missed their "refurbished" section.

BTW, what antenna do you use for your CB and where did you mount it? For our terrain, roof mount isn't an option. I was thinking about a fender mount or a front bumper mount.

I have the Wilson Flex 4' mounted on the ARB bar, and a Larsen NMO 2/70 dual band ham antenna on a fender mount with a spring. So far so good...
That seems like a good price on the CL radio - it's $200 from Radioworld, if I'm looking at the same rig:
http://radioworld.ca/product_info.php?cPath=132&products_id=597
IMG_0124.jpg

Hey, I remember that trip. I like the idea of having the antenna on the front like that. I sent the CL ad an email. I have to run into town tonight for a meeting - if he still has it. Thanks for the info. When I get a Ham licenese and VHF radio, I plan on tossing the damn cell phone which only works in less than 25% of the miles I drive.

Got it...

Offered the seller $60 and we settled at $70. Looks like new and came with the manuals. He downsized to a smaller CB as this one was too big for the space he had.

Funny, he was driving a RHD Surf which he is selling and has just bought an HJ81 which he's importing. Anyways, he's never heard of IH8MUD and did know of the Club, so I've put him on to both.

Now to find the antenna, cable and mounting hardware.

Nice deal!

I got my flex 4 at NSOR, but I'm sure there's someplace closer to you. I think Burnaby Radio had some in stock last time I was there.

John, it's been so many years since I installed that antenna I don't really know. I think a couple of friends have recently installed base loaded whips that cost around $85 for the mount, whip, base and mount, but I can't swear to it.

IIRC, the Flex 4 was around $40-50, no mount as I stuck it on the ARB, and I think the co-ax is around $20. But as I say, that was a LONG time ago.

I do like the flex 4 though. You can bend it almost all the way over on itself and it doesn't break. Good for our kinds of trails.

Was in at Freeway Communications on Saturday. Their top line base laoded steel whip antenna was $60 (what they recommended for the best performance). The fender mount or bar mount kit with 17' of cable was another $40. He recommended mounting it to the rear ladder bar. Of course they said they could do the install for me. Only 2 hours labour at $90/hour ...maybe when I win the lottery. For now I will do it myself. I see there are two cobra systems on BC4x4 complete with antenaas for $80. MY timing is perfect, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom