SR5 cluster in 1990 Pickup RN101L

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Matt Sierra

GOLD Star
Joined
Feb 24, 2026
Threads
6
Messages
79
Location
NorCal/ Oregon
I've installed a SR5 cluster in my DLX 1990 4wd pickup with 22re and haven't been able to get the oil pressure gauge working. I replaced the oil pressure sender with the correct unit for a gauge (83520-35032) and have followed the factory service manual troubleshooting guide. I can light a 3.4W test bulb when I ground the wire to the sender through the bulb but the gauge moves very slowly and irregularly. I can't light a 3.4 W test bulb when I run a wire from battery + to the sender with the engine running. The gauge has resistance within spec (24.6 ohms).

Questions:
1) Does the gauge normally move quickly (like the battery gauge)? Or slowly (like the fuel gauge)? I was expecting it to respond quickly when I start the truck or connect a test light.
2) Has anyone ever had a bad sender? I get oil leaking out of the sender hole when I remove it, so that isn't clogged, but it seems unlikely that an OEM sender would be bad.
3) Any other testing that anyone recommends aside from what's in the FSM?
4) Should I check out the wiring any further? I assume if I can light a 3.4W test bulb that's not the issue.
Thanks.
-Matt
2026-08-23 19.14.27.webp
2026-08-23 19.14.32.webp
 
Maybe the oil pressure side of things needs to be checked. Can you rig a way to apply pressure to the sensor?
I’ll see if I can find the right combination of fittings to attach the sender to a section of threaded pipe I can connect to my compressor and pressurize. It should still be cheaper than buying another sender.

I’ll see if I can find a known good cluster locally or on eBay. I’m a little unsure about testing with an eBay cluster because people do burn out the oil gauge with the senders intended for clusters with an oil light.
 
Maybe the oil pressure side of things needs to be checked. Can you rig a way to apply pressure to the sensor?
Turns out the sender is 1/8" NPT threaded, so I just need a 1/4" to 1/8" NPT female reducer and I can connect the sender directly to my air compressor. I'll also attach a mechanical gauge to the sender port to confirm the oil pressure I'm expecting.
Edit: I was wrong, it's 1/8" BSPT.

I'm still trying to track down a known good oil pressure gauge and have a few leads I'm working on. If anyone has one they're looking to sell, PM me please.
 
Last edited:
You're absolutely right, it's 1/8 BSPT. Fortunately I can just pick up a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 BSPT reducer instead.

I've decided to pull the gauge and test everything on the bench. It's a simple circuit so once I have the adapter, I'll wire the gauge directly to the sender, will connect the sender to my compressor, and will give it 12 V.
Screenshot 2026-08-28 at 10.06.38 AM.webp


Honestly I should probably just move on, I didn't have an oil pressure gauge for 23 years and it didn't bother me. But once something triggers the OCD...
 
Last edited:
You're absolutely right, it's 1/8 BSPT. Fortunately I can just pick up a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 BSPT reducer instead.

I've decided to pull the gauge and test everything on the bench. It's a simple circuit so one I have the adapter, I'll wire the gauge directly to the sender, will connect the sender to my compressor, and will give it 12 V.View attachment 4202732

Honestly I should probably just move on, I didn't have an oil pressure gauge for 23 years and it didn't bother me. But once something triggers the OCD...
i learned after several thousands of miles behind the wheel, the less gauges, the better the driving experience 😂
 
i learned after several thousands of miles behind the wheel, the less gauges, the better the driving experience 😂
Honestly, driving the truck free of all gauges (and a dash) was a lot of fun. Probably not a great idea at night though.

2026-06-27 16.34.10.webp
 
Bench test confirms that I had two bad gauges. For future reference the bad gauge still seems to result in a normal 0.14 amp current, just the gauge doesn't move (see photo). The new gauge I've sourced seems to respond quickly when I complete the circuit. Next step is to throw everything back in the truck and make sure it still works there. If not, I must also have a wiring issue.
2026-09-02 13.27.54.webp
 
The oil gauge is in and working, so I don’t have to sort out a wiring issue.

IMG_3304.webp


Now just got to calibrate the tach and replace the bulbs in the cluster and I can finally get the dash back together. Getting to the tach potentiometer is pretty fiddly without disconnecting and pulling the cluster out entirely, so I’m expecting a lot of guess and check.
 
Bench test confirms that I had two bad gauges. For future reference the bad gauge still seems to result in a normal 0.14 amp current, just the gauge doesn't move (see photo). The new gauge I've sourced seems to respond quickly when I complete the circuit. Next step is to throw everything back in the truck and make sure it still works there. If not, I must also have a wiring issue.
View attachment 4205994
Where were you able to source a new gauge? I'm on the hunt for one for a 97 T100 with 5vz-FE.
 
Where were you able to source a new gauge? I'm on the hunt for one for a 97 T100 with 5vz-FE.
I wasn't able to find a new one, unfortunately. If there's anyone out there with new old stock I couldn't find them. What does your gauge look like?

I got the two used ones that didn't work on eBay and got the working gauge from a used parts place in SoCal called Yoda Gang. Yoda Gang - https://www.yodagang.com/
 
I wasn't able to find a new one, unfortunately. If there's anyone out there with new old stock I couldn't find them. What does your gauge look like?

I got the two used ones that didn't work on eBay and got the working gauge from a used parts place in SoCal called Yoda Gang. Yoda Gang - https://www.yodagang.com/
I'll grab a photo and post later. It's similar looking to yours, but I think slightly different. They are notorious for going out, or like you said, the wrong sender being used which tweaks them. I'll have a look at Yoda Gang, thanks!
 
I'll grab a photo and post later. It's similar looking to yours, but I think slightly different. They are notorious for going out, or like you said, the wrong sender being used which tweaks them. I'll have a look at Yoda Gang, thanks!
There are a lot of bad gauges floating around because most clusters come from junkyards that don't test their clusters.

If I had a chance to do it all over, I'd bench test the gauge as soon as I got it. It would have saved me a lot of second guessing and troubleshooting of components that weren't at fault. Hopefully Yoda Gang can help you out!
 
Back
Top Bottom