Sputtering, Hesitating or Stalling Going Uphill (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1982 FJ40. Seems to run great on flat surfaces. Lately on long steep hills (many here in Bali), its starts to sputter or hesitate.

The short road to my house is very steep and curves to the left at 90 degrees about 3/4s of the way up. I went up it about 5 or 6 times in a row yesterday at various speeds and throttle inputs and it sputtered ever time right after I made that turn or bend to the left 3/4s of the way to the top of the hill.

Gas should be okay or at least 1/4 to 1/2 tank and has been much lower with no hill issues in the past.

Fuel filter?

Fuel filter?

Thanks. You guys are awesome here.

Is there any place on here to find out where fuel filter is and how to change.

I have been also searching for pictures or something explaining where and how to check transmission and transfer case fluid.

Fuel filter right under your battery tray. Trans and transfer case have side fill bolts, open them up on a flat surface. you should be able to see and or touch the fluid which should be to the level of the bottom of the fill hole. Drains are also large bolts on bottom of each. if you open them, get new crush washers to reseal.

I’d start with a general tune up..,,spark plugs, points, new cap and rotor and timing, adjust the valves, new fuel filter, carburetor adjust....then move on to more serious troubleshooting...compression, carb rebuild, etc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom