Speedo not working.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

Truck is an HDJ81 (JDM).

This morning I got in and the speedometer isn't working. It will sometimes flutter a bit under acceleration, but for the most part sits on zero.

I'm guessing it's just a bad connection but befor I dive in too deep I thought I would get some thougths here. I think this is a cable driven unit correct? and that the cable should come straight off of the Tranny, and that would probably be where the problem is.

Can anyone point me to where that connection would be on the tranny? Or am I going completely the wrong direction????

Thanks for the help guys,

James

No idea on the diesel, on the traditional US model (gas) the sensor is near the tail of the transfer case, on the US driver's side, and is not cable driven. I have seen dealer parts books with cable driven speedo's, so yours may be.

Are your other gauges working normally?

I have a part-time transfer case on my truck, and the cable comes off the left side of the transfer case near the rear output flange. If it's a cable, you'll see it. It'll be a 1/2" (or thereabouts) cable coming off the rear of the case and heading up and a bit towards the front of the vehicle.

If it's electronic, there will be a unit bolted into the transfer at the same location with a plug and some wires connected to it. sometimes those sensors go bad.

Yep all else working fine (except the odometer, which would be directly linked to the speedo I'm guessing.)... Will have a look that way LACRUISER... but they may different as mine is full time....

Thanks guys...

James

but they may different as mine is full time....

All the US spec 80's are full time 4WD as well. Being diesel is the big difference, but I think they used the same tranny/transfer case. I know a cable-driven speedo went in some variation of the 80 somewhere, the simplicity of a diesel makes me think it was there- or maybe those stripped models they got in Australia or somewhere...

I have a '97 US model and it did what yours did; it was the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) and it is located in the spot Spike mentioned....If you have cruise control, it's not going to work until you replace this sensor also.

Good luck,
Salue

If the HDJ81 is pre 1992 then it is cable driven, and the cable comes off of the rear of the transfer case as the other guys have stated.

The cable unscrews easily from the transfer case, and then you can pull the cable out of the housing from that end and inspect.

Likely your cable is broken, and the cable and housing should be replaced as a unit.

I replaced mine, it was a bit of a pain to pull the dash, and instrument cluster back enough to get the old cable out, and install the new one.

I got the cable from ProActive in Calgary.

Yep, It's cable driven... But where it goes into the housing it is really loose, and leaking just a bit of tranny fluid. But I don't see a way to tighten it?? Cable is OK, as after messing with it for a couple of minutes last night, speedo was working again. How is that mounted into the housing?? Does it thread in?? All I saw was one bolt with a tear drop (pointed on one side) washer that looks like it prevents the thing from spinning, but nothing else that seemed to hold the unit in place????

Any thoughts??

Thanks, James

you can remove that bolt and take out the assembly for inspection. you may find the gear is stripped, but just barely holding enough to teeth to work intermittently.

"Speedo not working" :hmm: I had this problem once, my speedo kept riding up so I finally stopped wearing it and now I wear Quick dry board shorts instead......much more comfortable! :doh:

Damn! Nothin' worse than a tight wedgie!

:grinpimp::grinpimp::grinpimp:

I pulled the sensor on the transfer case, the gear is fine and not seized. When I put it back the speedo is not working at all and the ODO is also not working at all anymore....

Any Ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom