Speedo not working in the cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
The last two mornings my speedo didn't work until my truck warmed up a bit. Has anyone else experienced this? The temps were sub-freezing the last few days. Not sure if that had something to do with it. I do use a yellow box for speed correction but I wouldn't think is temperature sensitive.

Hi, I second that question, I have a 92 FJ 80, but with the recent cold mornings my speedo makes a rubbing kind of noise, which gets louder and faster with vehicle speed. When the heater is warmed up then no noise at all. Yesterday when I hit 60mph on the freeway, the noise changed to a plastic grinding sound and the MPH needle suddenly pegged at 110. After the day warmed up - business as usual.

Is this anything like your experience? I don't have the speedo correction box. Thoughts?

I think the 91-92 had cable speedometer not electronic like the 93-97. Mine stays on 0 until warmed up.

My 92 with mechanical speedo had similar symptoms. The speedo would bounce +- 10 mph when cold and make a horrible noise and when it got really cold would frequently peg at 110mph. The noise was making me manic during my morning commute. I finally pulled the cluster and cleaned up the connection. Once all the black goo was gone, gave it a shot of silcone lubricant and buttoned it back up. No more bouncing, pegging, and the noise is gone. Speedo is smooth and quiet now going on 3 weeks. It was a pain pulling the cluster, but well worth the trouble. Biggest issue for me was squeezing my big hands in behind the cluster to pull all the connectors (and put them back on blind). Hope that helps.

I had a marks 4x4 speedo correction box in my 100 that in cold temps it would cause my speedo to not register until it started to warm up. Replaced it with another unit, but that one had different chips on it, same everything else. Worked no problem.

I am just glad I didn't see an old dude in a speedo when I opened this thread!

i had a similar issue with my 95, if i parked on the lawn overnight my speedo wouldn't work for a few minutes after the car started. i sprayed what i figured was the speedo sensor plug with lanotec and it hasn't happened since then. i figure it was condensation from the grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom