Speed Control by Sears..........1981

Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
911
Location
Berthoud Colorado
Just bought a 81 FJ60...rig has a speed control / cruise control in it....the owners manual makes it like like a major install / installed 1981 at sears.

Anyone have experience with these or have one in a vintage cruiser..?

Pretty cool, I set it last night on the way home from the PO's house.

Reading the manual:
a small magnet is glued to the drive shaft, nearby an electric coil is bolted t0 the chassis, Each time the magnet comes around past the coil, coil sends a short electical pulse through the wires to the regulator. The faster you drive, the more pulses are generated.....:eek: :eek:
 
Last edited:

HawkDriver

 
 
 
Joined
Feb 1, 2002
Messages
3,311
Location
No. Ogden, Utah
Razor said:
Reading the manual:
a small magnet is glued to the drive shaft, nearby an electric coil is bolted t0 the chassis, Each time the magnet comes around past the coil, coil sends a short electical pulse through the wires to the regulator. The faster you drive, the more pulses are generated.....:eek: :eek:
It's like magic. :eek:

I'd like one. ;)
 

ken_79-fj40

 
 
 
Joined
Jul 2, 2002
Messages
1,424
Location
New Hampshire
I remember my father cussing like mad trying to install an intermittent wiper kit he bought from sears on his 77 corolla sr5 liftback. It never got installed.
 

miker

 
 
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,610
Location
Peyton, CO
Razor said:
Anyone have experience with these or have one in a vintage cruiser..?
I have a new-in-the-box, never-installed Sears speed control from the mid 80's. It was a gift, meant to be installed in my '79 FJ40, but I never got around to it. Maybe I should dust of the box and see what it would take to install it on my trail rig. Cruise control on the trail might be nice. :D
 

rusty_tlc

Dain Bramaged Member
 
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,496
Location
Reno, NV
miker said:
I have a new-in-the-box, never-installed Sears speed control from the mid 80's. It was a gift, meant to be installed in my '79 FJ40, but I never got around to it. Maybe I should dust of the box and see what it would take to install it on my trail rig. Cruise control on the trail might be nice. :D
Dad had something like that on his Blazer, IIRC it didn't work at low speeds.
 

erics

 
Joined
Nov 1, 2004
Messages
1,345
Location
Iowa
a mechanic I know that used to do a bunch of cruise controls told me one time that you can put additional evenly spaced magnet(s) on the shaft to allow it to work at lower speeds... could be complete crap but I thought it interesting.
 
Top Bottom