Speaking of trailers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=DRTDuck link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg138779#msg138779 date=1081914727]
Has anyone seen a trailer that uses coil springs? This summer I will most likely make my own trailer, and have been thinking it would be kind a cool to use the stock rear springs I pulled from my 80 series when I installed OME.
[/quote]
More trouble than its worth, with coils you'll have to figure out a way to locate the axle, (4 link, 2 link w/ panhard etc) I just don't see coils on a trailer worth the required fabrication.

[quote author=BMAN link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg136051#msg136051 date=1081544073]
Will theses be Millitary replicas?
[/quote]

Don't know. The easiest part here is getting the frame and parts. The hard part is the actual trailer bed sides and design and if it will match what is inventory. Does anyone have any trailer bed designs that they can give to the public domain for a military-like?

I have drawn them up in CAD. I will get some copies to you if you would like. The bed is a really basic design but getting them fabbed has proven to be an issue for me. The problem is finding a fabricator with and 8-0 shear and brake to do the fab of the panels and weld them together. I have all of the dimensions on hand to get them fabbed up. Let me know if you want them. I could send you a PDF sometime this week.

Also...the recent steel shortage has made custom fabbed stuff cost prohibitive.

Send me a PDF, that would be nice.

However, what would you say to a FRAMED bed/cab? And the actual panels between the frame is fiberglass (I'm assuming its fiberclass) that is identical to the sides of most tractor trailers; or whatever that material is (it's not a metal).

Not bad, but not exactly what I'm looking for personally. The nice thing about the military trailer is the fact that they're water proof and they float with full payload. Make water crossings with your gear real easy.

[quote author=BMAN link=board=14;threadid=9557;start=msg139254#msg139254 date=1081980549]
they're water proof and they float with full payload. Make water crossings with your gear real easy.
[/quote]

These would also be. Just because they're framed doesn't mean it couldn't be water tight. In fact, there are even marine cocks that be laid abottom that allow drainage if the top is left open or if water does in fact get in there.

2 wheel drive mini pickup bed trailers with camper shells on them work great and there are lots of dead mini trucks. They are very cheap to build. I favor old Datsuns, hammerhead has a Dodge mini, and another guy in our group has a Toy mini. I lust for a Heep J10 or J20 bed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom