Builds Spdstr280Z's While I'm in There 80 Series Build... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I had a couple of those 3rd gens. Great little trucks, although both of mine were unicorns (5-speed + locked), although the ease with which I found and purchased them makes me think maybe not unicorns? My '97 was killed in a rollover. I would definitely consider another one if my 80 ever bites the dust. But I can't seem to manage to kill the thing :)

80 is a very different creature. Have fun!

P.S. I would think about taking up @slow95z on his offer. These things are expen$$$ive to fix up :(

They might be easier to find there. Here there are even many 2WD 4Runners running around. Manuals are pretty hard to find, or at least have been for me. I'm not sure I have ever knowingly ran in to a manual with locker. They are great though, miss mine, but looking forward to the 80.

Jason

And it began. Need to do oil and filters first. Surprisingly while it needs a lot of work, the routine maintenance, at least oil and filters, seems to have been taken care of at least with the last owner. Found a fresh air filer in it and the oil was pretty clean.

IMG_20190324_114512.jpg

What else does it need ? The intake tube is split under the electrical tape, let's do plugs, wires, cap and rotor, PCV, and most of these vacuum lines look original. Better replace all those. And I hear there is a pesky heater hose I better look in to. Let's take care of this leaking valve cover and think about resealing the whole engine.

So, to pull the valve cover I need to pull the upper intake, no problem I'll get the vacuum hoses under it while I'm in there. Hmmm, if the upper intake is off, might be a good idea to replace that heater hose. Maybe I'll pull the lower intake too, I'm sure new gaskets wouldn't hurt. While I'm in there with the intake and valve cover off might be a good idea to do the head gasket, no sign it's ever been done. Where else is it leaking, damn, rear main too... Well, maybe not, I hear it may be the oil pan. Let's just drop the oil pan and reseal it too, wait, there are two oil pans, what the... Well, if I'm going to pull the oil pans to reseal, do the head gasket and the oil pump plate seal, the PHH and all the vacuum lines, seems like it will just be easier....

Last edited:
....to pull the engine. Wasn't easy, but.

IMG_20190512_001854.jpg

The welder is out in that pic because three of the flex plate bolts were a pain in the ass to get out. Actually cracked an impact socket and didn't realize it until I had rounded a couple of bolt heads a bit. Used the weld on bigger nuts trick.

I would say it escalated quickly, but it actually took a few weeks.

IMG_20190817_113919.jpg

And yes, there is a lot more missing than necessary to pull the engine. While I'm in there, might as well take care of all the issues in the engine bay. It needs a serious cleaning, and did I mention I don't really like it white ?

I also learned my lesson pulling the engine. The engine and tranny will go back in together.

Jason

Last edited:
Hmmm, get a good start expecting to get something done quickly, then just walk away and get distracted. Build thread imitates life I guess...

So, I decided that I would go ahead and do the head gasket since I had the engine out, and started questioning whether or not it would be a good idea to go ahead and do rings and bearings. I had almost talked myself out of that until I pulled the oil pan...

IMG_20190518_200632.jpg

IMG_20190714_150822.jpg

Damn, why is my oil pan full of aluminum and plastic ? And that oil doesn't look quite right either. Guess it's coming apart after all.

Jason

Last edited:
Tore the engine down curious to find out what could have put that much aluminum in the oil pan and the engine still run fine. I mean, it made a few squealing noises occasionally, and it was oily and smelled really bad, but it started right up, didn't knock and was pretty smooth. Much to my surprise, it was in OK shape. Not a single part in the engine was missing any aluminum or plastic. I wasn't even sure how that plastic could have gotten in there. Then it hit me...

IMG_20191110_184216.jpg

This is an early (93) 1FZ, and I had read about the timing chain tensioner / guide issues. The one in the engine was in decent shape, with just normal wear, and was still the original design part. I'm guessing that some time before 95 (the part was redesigned in 95 as I understand it) this engine ate its tensioner and went in for a replacement, probably under warranty. The dealership probably replaced the part but didn't clean out the oil pan, leaving the shavings to ride around in the oil pan for most of the trucks life.

Jason

Last edited:
It wasn't too bad inside given the mileage. I think a little of the aluminum had made it through as there were some minor scratches on a few bearings.

IMG_20190512_014206 (1).jpg
IMG_20190526_164212.jpg
IMG_20190517_185759.jpg
IMG_20190526_164149.jpg

But... What's that in the cylinders ?

Jason

I knew it had sat a while, looks like moisture got inside the cylinders and they rusted. This would be the nail in the coffin for a full rebuild. A used engine certainly could have been an option, but I plan to keep it long term and this way I know what I have. A few other upgrades will just have to wait for a while.

IMG_20190526_172748.jpg

So away she goes...

IMG_20190613_160427.jpg

At this point I was still hoping that the rust would hone out. Which it almost did. The machine shop let me know it didn't quite come out, that there was still a little pitting. Depending on my plans / goals I could have put it back together with new rings and expect some oil usage, or bore it to do it right. Well....

If you're going to do something, might as well do it right...

IMG_20191008_120440.jpg

Pistons took almost a month, I was told they might have actually had to come from the manufacturer. But hey, they were still available. Pistons weren't horrible, about $96 each, but the ring set at $320 hurt a little. I read the threads about NPR and Hastings. Almost went with Hastings, but since I had the machine shop assemble the bottom end and they sell Hastings I wasn't going to buy a set online and take them in, and buying from them would not have been that much cheaper than Toyota, might as well go with Toyota since I was ordering pistons anyway.

Jason

So while I waited on the engine, I had time to do some other work. I didn't do nearly as much as I should. because when it comes down to it, I am basically lazy.

It was time for my initiation I guess...

IMG_20190921_155446.jpg

Looks like someone didn't have the right socket and went old school a few times...

IMG_20190921_171642.jpg

I really wasn't sure that there was not a small rodent entombed in there at the time, looks like a little leg and claws sticking out...

IMG_20190921_172257.jpg

Lots of cleaning ensued, and continues, because even though these pictures are months old, it still isn't back together.

Jason

I debated on wheels and tires quite a bit. I wanted a fairly aggressive tire, but still reasonable on the road. I also struggles with wheels, I wanted something different, but since I was in for an engine rebuild didn't want to spend a lot. I finally decided that since I like the factory wheels about as well as anything for an 80, I would stick with them and just change up the color a little. Also decided to go with a set of Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx.

Wheels back from powder coat...

IMG_20191029_231351.jpg

And with a little rubber. Also debated tire size way to much, but in the end went with 315's...

594325283_01.jpg

Jason

Since I have completely failed at this build thread so far, I'll spend some social isolation time working on the 80 and the thread. Some of the next few posts may be out of order, so you may see some work get done and undone. Some actually did, unfortunately.

Everybody has seen an engine build thread, and my build was nothing special. I had the machine shop go ahead and do the rotating assembly / build a short block for me. Figured they were better equipped and more knowledgeable than me. They had it a few months, started to get a little long, but to be fair I did have them try to hone it first, and they had it over the 4th and their summer vacation. Also, despite knowing better, I told them I wasn't in a hurry. It did get done though...

IMG_20191025_170017.jpg

It's mine, it has my name on it...

IMG_20191110_183133.jpg

Glad I took that oil cooler apart...

IMG_20191104_220254.jpg

Getting there. I had the manifolds ceramic coated while the wheels were being powder coated. Little more spendy than I expected, not sure I would do it again, but...

IMG_20191127_204033.jpg

Jason

While the engine was away, and after I got it back too really, I started converting my bank account to Toyota parts...

Depo's came back in stock...

IMG_20191114_204922.jpg

After thinking about it way too long, went with the Slinky intermediate set up. Just Stage 1, should be plenty for my needs, and I will still have more in the suspension than I paid for the truck.

IMG_20191119_210954 (1).jpg
IMG_20191127_142255.jpg

And a radiator...

IMG_20200127_232042.jpg

And another box full...

IMG_20200127_232056.jpg

Jason

Got lazy and went with NAPA reman calipers. Hope they hold up. According to the date code they had been on the shelf for a while, hopefully the good rebuilder.

IMG_20191209_164433.jpg

EBC Green Stuff pads...

IMG_20191209_211425.jpg

Rotors are just Brembo replacement blanks.

Jason

I was positive I was going to repaint this thing. The paint was dead, and I thought it was gone. That is one of the reasons I stripped it down as far as I did. Then one day I decided to see if I could strip the cracked and faded TRD decal someone had slapped on there, followed up by trying out a new (cheap) buffer...

Before...

IMG_20191214_161433.jpg

And after...

IMG_20191214_180720.jpg

Yeah, OK, it's staying white. I don't love white, 90% of them are white, but it doesn't really need paint.

Jason

Looks real good! I'm in the same boat with my 80; needs resealed, some bodywork, a lot of interior work. It will be well worth all the work and money put into it in the end.

White is the best man, and to me there is nothing more fulfilling than a paint reconditioning job like that. Looks great. You’ve clearly put some significant work into this truck, and it will pay off when she’s on the road. Enjoy.

So, while I'm in there....

IMG_20200127_232111.jpg

Clean enough...

IMG_20191228_141829.jpg

Had some help packing...

IMG_20200202_133839.jpg

And done...

IMG_20200202_141258.jpg

At least until I started to put the brakes back on, and realized that the caliper bolts (which I had noticed were not Toyota originals) wouldn't go through the replacement calipers. Yep, somewhere along the line the brake mounting ear threads had been stripped and retapped. To 7/16 I think. I agonized over that a while, but you can guess how it ended...

IMG_20200302_174031.jpg

Threads in this one were fine.

I had just barely talked myself in to putting the original axle back in the drivers (left) side, as the seal wear ring wasn't too bad. But once the axle had to come back out, and I had more concern about the splines on the right side I had out by that point, yeah... New axles.

I think I made the right call though, especially seeing the old compared to new. That isn't a photo artifact, the splines were starting to twist...

IMG_20200309_211235.jpg

Everything that went in the engine, and most everything under the hood, I have been pretty particular about, it had to be Toyota or OEM supplier. The axles I have been a bit less picky, and used what I understand to be good aftermarket stuff. Nitro (birfs), Joint Fuji (spindles), Terrain Tamer (axles). Hopefully those all turn out to be good choices.

Another decision I changed while I had the chance was the knuckle hardware. I put the left side back together with the old hardware the first time. Changed my mind with the replacement knuckle and right side.

IMG_20200314_205237.jpg

And decided to let @NLXTACY hold my nuts...

IMG_20200316_230015.jpg

That is a genius product I think.

Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom