Spartan install soon (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
Hoping to install Spartan locker soon. Just received the parts and the instructions. I find that the instructions refer to several diff types, but none of them are identical to a 1996 Landcruiser, so I have read through for all, and I think this is the procedure below. I am hoping for those that have done it, can let me know if this looks right.

1. Remove 3rd (pull axle shafts and drain first). Mark drive shaft so it can be refitted in same location
2. check and record backlash (ring gear movement in its rotation plane) - not clear if this is needed, seems to change for each diff type.
3. remove side gears, and side thrust washers. Remove pinion gears, shaft and thrust washers
4. Place Spartan inside diff case, ensure open face of spacer is towards gears. Fit cross pin shaft
5. check backlash is the same as item 2.
6. check gap between two drivers is 0.145-0.170"
7. refit into 3rd
8. Refit 3rd

I have read here that this is a simple job, but since the Spartan instructions are not specific for my LC, I wanted to check with those that have done this.

Also not clear what to do if backlash is not the same?

TIA

You will be dialing the backlash back in regardless after installation. There isnt really a need to measure it first because if its wrong to begin with, you will be trying to match the wrong backlash afterwards. Get it installed and then match backlash to factory spec. At least that is how I do it.

Thanks. The instructions are not the best, but I will check afterwards and hope I do not have to adjust the adjusting nuts as I have limited tools (many of mine in storage), and I don't have that sst anyway.

You shouldn't need to mess with the backlash or anything else. Once you get the third member pulled, you should be able to pull the cross shaft and the side/spider gears while leaving everything else intact, and reverse the process installing the Spartan instead of the diff gears.

No need to touch backlash. Once it's out and on a bench you just take one bolt out and then the crosspin comes out. Once that is out the spider gears fall out. Put the locker together and slide it back in. It's super easy, I have done several. Takes longer to get the chunk out and back in than to install the locker.

This is good info, it was just wording in the instructions for one version, that is why I picked up on it, so I may not bother. As long as gap is correct I guess this will tell me if there is an issue.

In the packaging the spacers are vacuum packed (or formed plastic) and placed not with 'cup facing the gear teeth', they are placed in reverse, but it does mention this for one of the build options in the instructions. Can you recall how you fitted these?

Thanks for the replies, I am excited to get this fitted in a few weeks.

Look on youtube, there are plenty of install videos for lunchbox lockers in cruisers. It's not hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom