Spare Tire and Hi-Lift Carrier, CO2 Tank Holder, Sleeping Platform Thing (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Boston Mangler said:
\
Hey

Brent, did you make your HOTEL reservations yet? :D :D :D

Tent baby all the way. hehehe

You need a window sticker for your rig - If the Rig's a Rockin, Don't Bother Knockin! :cheers:

Looks good, for sleeping if you haven't already, I would go get an air mattress to throw on top of your storage system. I'm soon going to building one myself, but I found plans off of a guy's site, I can't remember his name :doh:. If I remember correctly I think Doug built his with those plans. Works perfectly for sleeping and is a single drawer system (which can be made to two). Anyways nice job and only in 3 hours :eek:.

nyk438 said:
Looks good, for sleeping if you haven't already, I would go get an air mattress to throw on top of your storage system. I'm soon going to building one myself, but I found plans off of a guy's site, I can't remember his name :doh:. If I remember correctly I think Doug built his with those plans. Works perfectly for sleeping and is a single drawer system (which can be made to two). Anyways nice job and only in 3 hours :eek:.

Yeah, i just test fitted my air mattress and with the height of the mattress, it puts me pretty close to the roof. Havent decided if i like this or not. I will either use the air matress or bring a thermarest, havent decided yet!

Hey BM, I just printed up a course map off the SCORE website. Any recomendations for where a guy whose never been to the area could have a good view of the race and not have many problems? BTW, good luck!

Eddie

mason said:
Hey BM, I just printed up a course map off the SCORE website. Any recomendations for where a guy whose never been to the area could have a good view of the race and not have many problems? BTW, good luck!

Eddie

Hey Mason

Since the race is a loop this year, you can do a few different cool things depending on your adventure level..

First off, the cool thing would be to watch the start in Ensenada and then head down to rte 3 to RM 35 or so where the course crosses RT3 and that should be a good place to watch it without straying too far into baja!

At the crossing, You should be able to see the big players come by at some serious speeds!!

The problem is that the area where the race starts is a huge cluster F and is a mess to navigate around. It might be best just to head down rt3 until you see the crossing and hang there. Would be very simple navigation for someone not familiar with Baja and very "Tourist Friendly".

If you want to be more adventurous, you could keep heading down the 3 as the course crosses it quite a few times. That way you could kind of "Chase" the cars and see them cross at various points. All without having to stray from the freeway. It will be dark by the time they get to the 3rd or 4th crossing of rt3, so keep that in mind.

Also, it will get COLD at night, bring warm clothes!

Any questions, feel free to PM me

Boston Mangler said:
Hey Guys

I was getting ready for Pismo next weekend and decided since it was so cold last year and that i am riding up solo, that i want to sleep in the truck.

I threw together a low budget sleeping platform, tire carrier, hi lift holder, storage cabinet, and co2 tank holder, all in one. Took about 3 hours and costs about $50. Came out ok, but it needs some finishing touches i will deal with later, either that, or break it into pieces and contribute to the bonfire! :D

There is still plenty of storage for tools and camping gear, but things will be totally re-arranged once i get my crap together and build a bumper/tirecarrier.

This is just a temp fix for the Pismo weekend and possibly a second truck for the Baja 1000.

Check it out (feedback appreciated):

Many Pics Herehttp://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/budgetstorage.htm

A Few Pics:

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

Mangler: Can you smell the spare tire with it in that box?

The reason I ask:

I have a '93 with the spare mounted in the back. PEW!

I have a new '97 and want it back there too.

DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO KEEP THE SPARE INSIDE WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO SMELL IT?

Swing by your local Sears Auto, Discount Tire, or similar and buy/beg for a couple of their big plastic bags they use for people that want to keep their old tyres. Big trash bag might work too.

-B-

I've got my spare inside and never smell it, but I don't live in the Arizona sun either.

Still, on 100° + days, no rubber smell.

The plastic bag Beowulf suggested would be good.

ShottsUZJ100 said:
Mangler: Can you smell the spare tire with it in that box?

No Sir!

Box is now for sale, first $100 takes it!

Boston,
Nice work.
I used to have similar setup on a 99 ranger with camper top.
Put wet kayak gear underneath.
I used 3/4 ply, had enough room for beer cooler underneath:)
Go get some ridge rests (note I mean 2, makes it comfy, one sucks)
Only about 1" or less, Air mattress is way to big = clostrophobic with roof in face
Yeah, thats not comfy
I would just put straps around the back using the tie downs.
It will not go anywhere then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom