Spare or not? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Figured I'd post this here, went wheeling with a buddy and we were both aired down to 10 as it was in snow and my buddy managed to find a rock and bent a rim. We both had spares luckily though.

Have you ever needed a full sized spare on an 80 series?

Just in case this is somehow a inter web foul like cross posting or somethin' I shall delete this link. Mos def.
Kind of odd you would restrict it to the 80 series since all Land Cruisers are heavy beast, but whatever.
For me it's the typical type of flat I see that I concern myself with in places I go with my 100. Around here we see severe sidewall damage, not easy to field repair in a way that will get you home over a couple of hundred miles of black top. (Odds are slim of finding a replacement tire of the correct diameter in central Nevada.) Yes I have used my full size spare, yes I have been with others that have needed to use theirs.

I tend to weigh the need for a spare part against the amount of difficulty it will cause me to not have it given my typical environment. For me not having a spare tire would be most adverse in many situations. I can live without spare axles/birfields easier. (Never carried either of those items but they are on most peoples "must have" list.)

Yet another factor, on hard core trails where I use my FJ40, all my friends run the same diameter tire I do. If one of us has a spare we are all good. Odds of more than one cataclysmic tire failure on three rigs in the same run are exceedingly slim. Worst case we relay out with whatever sound tires we have. Sometime you need to look at what the collective resources are, not just what you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom