Southern Charm... (Build Thread) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The truck was put back together nicely, but not with all of the details that some of you have paid attention to. * They did put the Bezel on right-side-up....

1741 Pics-5 painted topless.jpg

and some aftermarket lights were added for the dark Chatanooga nights....

1741 Pics 5 painted with top on.jpg

And that was about how I found it
1741 Pics 5 painted at work.jpg
when I contacted YodaHog and the PO on CL a few months ago.

1741 pics-4 motor.jpg

So I have the background, receipts and the photos of where she came from.....

Last edited:
Since everything was as advertised - and I was more than happy that I didn't have to go though the major body work myself - we loaded her up,stopped for fuel at Cracker Barrell and headed home....

2014-07-21 17.43.25.jpg

When we left Charleston earlier that morning (@ 430AM) , I had planned to make it into an overnight trip, but the :princess: was ready to keep me awake so she could sleep in her own bed that night.... so thru the night we drove.... (disregard the Check Engine light - the EGR has been permanently deleted and I hadn't cleared the code yet that day).

2014-07-21 05.12.27 HDR.jpg

very nice find and rig!!! looks like you did your home work well!!!

So, after I got home, we had to 'test drive it' a little more....
image.jpg

and I made sure that it fit in the garage so that .......
image.jpg

image.jpg

I could test the newly installed hard top hoisiting assembly. I back in, lift the rear hatch, hook up straps thru the doorframe to the back hatch, and lift - presto / chango....

image.jpg

she's topless..... Hummmm - something about the doors...... maybe next (2015) year.

I like being able to take the top off and store it securely.

image.jpg

After lifting the top, I ran an additional set of ratchet straps diagonally to ensure that the Harken Hoister does not let loose.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Uh-Oh : Bottom of the top was not prepped an painted properly..... Guess I'll have to get to that before i put the top back on.
My :princess: is more worried about the hardtop coming down and damaging HER truck..... LOL. What we do for our :zilla:..... I mean : what we do for our princesses........:D

Last edited:
I was fortunate to get the truck with the bezel on correctly, but the bezel spacers were missisng. I did not want to have the paint on either damaged. So, technically, this was the first repair I did :

image.jpg

Gorgeous 40, Erik!! I'm colorblind... what color is it?

Similar to yours Danny, but slightly darker than Gunner ! It's a later model Tan, Toyota used it under-hood and for interiors. Not an original FJ40 color.

But, Elsie is not an original FJ40 anymore, either.

Alright, so what was next.....
image.jpg

Ahh, the next order of business was to redo the window seals. You have to rotate the wing window to this point so that it can be removed. You also have to remove scres in the door panel. Some of them might not want to come right out...

image.jpg

but there are ways to convince old painted screws... Make sure that you take the old window felt out also. This 7 (or 11, i dont remember how many really) in 1 tool worked really good!
image.jpg

And then it was time to remove the upper frame and clean up the lower frame.... Well, not me...

image.jpg

Resealing the front doors was relatively easy. I used SOR rubber, SOR indow felt and SOR wing window rubber. Overall it works fine. I haven't seen OEM rubber on a '74 (or any other year either....) so I dont have anything to compare it to.

image.jpg

installation was easy, and the rattling stopped ! (in the window frame, at least.)

image.jpg

yes, I primed the lower frames, but I did not paint them. I dont have access to a paint booth in the garage...

image.jpg

He looks much more detail oriented than Gunner :clap:

I dont remember if I told you or not, but my son's name is also Gunner, as is my middle name. It's a family name on my dad's side. I knew early on as a new member of mud, when I saw one of your first posts, that I would like ya ! :grinpimp:

I dont remember if I told you or not, but my son's name is also Gunner, as is my middle name. It's a family name on my dad's side. I knew early on as a new member of mud, when I saw one of your first posts, that I would like ya ! :grinpimp:

It's a great name - my Sgt Gunner was born in Veteran's Day :cool:

Erik I just discovered your build thread, sorry it took me so long.
I love your rig, keep up the good work!

image-jpg.1076087

I want one just like it!!

It's so cool to see your son involved every step of the way!:clap: Teach them while they are young!:wrench:

'Preciate the props. Ive got to get back to updating this thread. I took lots of pics, but didnt really get the whole 'build thread' thing when I started. I just kept updating tech threads and 'What have you done this.....' threads. I started with a really nice slate, so my focus has been on the detail items. Made enjoying Elsie much easier since I've never really been torn down more than for a week or so at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom