Sound system upgrades (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wonder if it is different on the 98's. Do you still have a dimmer for the cluster? I've just been manually dimming it at night up until this point by holding down the mode button.

When you say the toyota illum wire. Are you talking about the harness that used to connect to the factory head unit, power input?

ps. Do you still have the file you're using for your splash screen? I'd like to make my own utilizing that land cruiser logo graphic, but have been unable to find a clean, high res image on the web.

Anyways, off to ebay land to order more key shells.

I still have full cluster/dash dimming.

I do mean the illumination wire thats part of the Toyota factory wiring.

I'll send you the graphic. I think it's from a 60 series right? Looks about that vintage. I scraped it via google image search.

I'm just sayin ;p
IMG_2190.jpg
IMG_2190.jpg

I'll send you the graphic. I think it's from a 60 series right? Looks about that vintage. I scraped it via google image search.

Sweet. I scavenged google images for a good hour with out any luck. I'll PM my email for the file. I thought about adding slee, ARB, mud, and warn to the bottom of the splash too, though much smaller.

Thanks for the help with the wiring.

Can I use one of the three wires from the light control rheostat near the instrument cluster for the illumination wire connection on the AVIC. Or is there a better option?

Can I use one of the three wires from the light control rheostat near the instrument cluster for the illumination wire connection on the AVIC. Or is there a better option?

the rheostat has three wires (at least on a 2000). the green illuminates the rheostat; it's a constant 12v+. going from memory, the white/black is ground. the green/white is the dimmer.

it's a variable resistance ground system, so if the AVIC will accept this as the dimmer input you're golden. you may need to diode the connection so you don't provide feedback and turn on the tail lights.

The AVic is designed for on / off illumination. Moreover the AVIC itself has dimmer controls for each mode (Day / Night). The LCD displays wont dim to the dash since their illumination is logic controlled in the head unit. My experience on the AVIC 110/120/130 units - I suspect its the same for other Pioneers.

The AVic is designed for on / off illumination. Moreover the AVIC itself has dimmer controls for each mode (Day / Night). The LCD displays wont dim to the dash since their illumination is logic controlled in the head unit. My experience on the AVIC 110/120/130 units - I suspect its the same for other Pioneers.

I guess my question was if I could use one of the rheostat wires as the signal to dim the AVIC to night mode. Not to use the rheostat to control the AVICs brightness. The nav mode is too bright at night.

I guess my question was if I could use one of the rheostat wires as the signal to dim the AVIC to night mode. Not to use the rheostat to control the AVICs brightness. The nav mode is too bright at night.

The solid green wire to the rheostat goes hot with the tail light relay. So if you want night mode to pair with the lights (either auto or manual) use that one.

There is already an illumination wire in your stock harness at the radio - why would you fish for something else? See my earlier comments in the thread about tapping that wire.

There is already an illumination wire in your stock harness at the radio - why would you fish for something else? See my earlier comments in the thread about tapping that wire.

Because after replacing the factory amp the harness at the HU is not active. I checked the wire you're referring to, doesn't work. I think I'll track it to the amp wire harness and see if I can get a signal there. Thanks for the feedback.

Because after replacing the factory amp the harness at the HU is not active. I checked the wire you're referring to, doesn't work. I think I'll track it to the amp wire harness and see if I can get a signal there. Thanks for the feedback.

Really??? I havent made the jump to aftermarket amp yet but I installed Lexi4Darin's AVIC 120/Alpine Amp in his 2000 LX470 and the only wire that was NOT active at the radio was main head unit power (because of stock amp removal). All other wires at the harness were active including illumination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom