Sound Diagnosis---Solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started as I pulled into the driveway after a short ride home from work. Not sure if it is the carb or the butterfly valve that is in the exhaust manifold. I have put the stethoscope on all areas there and can not pinpoint if its coming from inside the carb or the butterfly valve just above the exhaust manifold donut ring. Anybody had this before or have any suggestions? I have an extra carb that I have rebuilt so am thinking about trying that first but my gut is telling me its the butterfly. check the link and let me know any input is greatly appreciated!

Acceleration Whine

Last edited:
Had a sound like that on my sprinter. In my case it was the exhaust manifold gasket leaking and acting like a reed valve

I've never heard that particular sound before on a FJ60 2F, but here's some ideas:

Regardless of that shrill noise, it sounds like maybe there is an exhaust leak anyway. Maybe near the pipe flange gasket (guess). If there is a leak, that shrill noise could be whistling out of the crack when the exaust pressure hits a certain velocity. Just a guess. (But it definitely doesn't sound like a whistle) .
I don't think the noise is originating from inside the carburetor. If you take off the air cleaner and goose the throttle, you'll find out for sure.

I found it! It was the EGR J Gasket on the bottom of the exhaust manifold. I had a spare believe it or not and we are back in business!!!! What a relief. Thanks for the guidance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom