soot around the tailpipe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anybody have any black soot in their tailpipe? I was wondering because I have a relative who has an H3 with less than a thousand miles and it has soot in the tailpipe(not alot but something I've seen in older vehicles). Upon inspection of his 2005 100 series LC, I found no soot.
I was wonder if the soot is a byproduct of the break-in period or a byproduct of bad manufacturing.

There will be a bit of oil blow-by until the rings seat properly. Also, maybe it's not reaching normal operating temp. That would mean a rich mixture, and the inability for the exhaust to get hot enough to allow the exhaust to flow right out. If that makes sense.:D

There have been a lot of FJ owners over at FJCruiserForums that have reported having black soot on their tail pipes. My FJ has black soot on the tail pipe as well.

Just checked mine. It's clean. But then again, I have over 10 000 km on mine already.

Runner Ryan said:
There will be a bit of oil blow-by until the rings seat properly. Also, maybe it's not reaching normal operating temp. That would mean a rich mixture, and the inability for the exhaust to get hot enough to allow the exhaust to flow right out. If that makes sense.:D

that makes sense but they use both vehicles equally and live in a suburb about an hour away from their main office. I think the engines on both do reach normal operating temps. I guess it's common even in toyotas. Never owned a new toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom