Solvent Suggestions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like MEK

I've used MEK professionally for bout 13 yrs... I sure hope you following the appropriate safety procedures with that s***. It'll fawk up your blood cells. I have lots of sick friends from MEK. It gives me nausea now. Lacquer thinners are not much better.

In some cites there are companies which go shop to shop changing out washer solvent. They distribute a low odour version of mineral spirits.

Varsol or Mineral Spirits is all I would use.

For the tard who suggested Avgas....don't use that in your parts washer. Chances are you will catch fire, get far too much lead in you too.

I've used avgas in a sprayer on oily engines to clean, but that practice is very old thinking.

One static spark is all it takes.

Man, Hats off to you for using the search thread. Pulling a 4y/o one up is simply awsome.

I use stoddard solvent in my cold parts tank. In my Hot water parts washer I use water and Calgon automatic dish washing soap.

The harshest stuff we can get in California is simple green. They pulled the Catrol Purple stuff off most of the shelves a year ago.

Has anyone used ProForce HD Degreaser? I found it at Sam's the other day and it's made by EcoLab. The label recommends a 1 to 10 dilution for soak tanks.... about $5.50 a gallon.

Thanks,

My friend Chris K. went the ER when that purple stuff ate all of the skin off his fingers. Ironically, he was using it as a safer version that a petro chemical. He had used simple green before and did not think he had to wear gloves. At the time, he did no realize that the purple stuff was different that simple green. Ouch.

I used low oder paint thinner. Works great. Look up the flash point, it's very similar to varsol which is very similar to what safety kleen uses.

Last edited:
My grandfather was a blacksmith & my dad a tool & tie maker. Both always used plain kerosene to clean just about everything. I remember my dad especially would come home from bird hunting and just break down his Model 12 and let it soak in kerosene. I still use it, kerosene, and it does everything I want it to. Probably as much nostalgia as anything else that makes me use it. Don't know how the cost compares.

Man, Hats off to you for using the search thread. Pulling a 4y/o one up is simply awsome.

Ain't no tard noob here brother ...... a tard maybe but not a noob :hillbilly:

I decided to try this purple stuff and some rubber gloves. I've got a nasty bell housing to clean up and some spare knuckle parts I never clean before tossing them in the "spares" box so I guess we'll see how it does.

Be careful with that Castrol purple stuff. It pulled off all the paint on my frame when I was only trying to degrease it. It also burned my hands, taking over three weeks to heal. I was used to simple green and didn't know I had to use gloves. Simple green's all I use on the truck now. It may take two shots, but at least it doesn't burn.

Varsol = mineral spirits, it's just a brand name. I use that to soak, but prefer brake fluid for small, quick jobs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom