Solvent Suggestions.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Juane,
I did the same b4 my rebuilt.... called some local autopart stores and there was a Advanced Auto near me that had 5 gallon barrels of parts cleaning solution, used that and worked great.

Maybe a there's cheaper alternative?? but I would just call around

Yo Han

Whatever you do, do not use simplesuck(green). It's corrosive, which is something I did not know first time around.

I picked up a heated parts washer a few months back. Guy that sent that it to me included some industrial airplane degreaser they use at airports. It was cheap but worked great. Wish it had a lablel, but if you want I can email the guy and find out what it was.

around here we get 5 gallon buckets of Stodard Solvent. works real good, not too pricey, when its fresh, I suggest gloves as it makes the hands a little tingly.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=10448;start=msg93744#msg93744 date=1074741415]
I picked up a heated parts washer a few months back. Guy that sent that it to me included some industrial airplane degreaser they use at airports. It was cheap but worked great. Wish it had a lablel, but if you want I can email the guy and find out what it was.
[/quote]

That'd be great, Junk. I'd like to know. thanks
A heated washer?

juane

I go to my local oil distributor that supplies solvent to the local repair shops and buy automotive solvent in 5 or 30 gallon containers. They also have 55s but that's a bit much for my small shop.

I use Varsol. Comes in 10 gal?? cans and they run about $18.

Very cheap, works pretty well and not too many fumes. Also safe around welders as it won't catch fire.

I don't have a washer, just use my wifes baking pan that's 2" deep.I had to buy her another.

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=14;threadid=10448;start=msg93842#msg93842 date=1074755583]
All the Parts Washers I've used had AVGAS in 'em,
[/quote]

:eek: I guess you are a non-smoker then?

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=14;threadid=10448;start=msg93842#msg93842 date=1074755583]
All the Parts Washers I've used had AVGAS in 'em, Never had a problem with my Hands.
[/quote]

Blue 100LL or Purple 130??

AVGAS....HA HA HA!!!

Never had a problem with your hands...sure, how are your offspring?

Stick with Stoddard solvent, and use thick protective gloves, good petrol-based cleaners are carcinogens, and damage the nervous system too..

FUN STUFF-BREATH DEEP!!

Good luck!

-Steve

FUN STUFF-BREATH DEEP!!

too funny, kerosene degreases pretty good, but i have had some real good luck with this stuff called workhorse from a janitor supply place. i buy one gallon and dillute it a bit. if you cant find workhorse i was looking at labels and all the janitor degeasers have similar ingredients. oh about $7 a gallon

Kerosene does not cut like a good stoddard solvent. I found a fuel supply place here that sells it by the gallon, right out of a fuel pump.

Good stuff.

-Steve

[quote author=Gumby link=board=14;threadid=10448;start=msg104060#msg104060 date=1076629192]
I have heard that Grainger has some good stuff. I have not yet investigated. Safety Kleen sucks. Way too stinkin expensive.
[/quote]

Agetine. It is a green solvent. Great stuff.

Kinda spendy...

I like MEK and laquer thinner for those tuff to get clean pieces......Great stuff!!! Let it soak in there for a little while, agitate a bit, and things come out clean as can be...

Kerosene does not cut like a good stoddard solvent.

maybe not, but for just cleaning grease off parts why pay for stoddard?? if you want the axact same thing as stoddard but much less money just use mineral spirits. ok not the exact thing, but as far as grease is concerned its the same flat disc cutting atoms known as benzene.

rhino-

All what you wnat to use, and the level that you want to take it too...

I like rinsing everything that is going back together with some sort of solvent that flashed off easy, MEK, 1,1,1,-Trichlorethelen, brake cleaner, etc...

i hear ya, and i agree completely. just pointing out the use of inexpensive solvents for simple grease removal.
i also like to blow off some parts immeditly with compressed air to avoid flash rusting.

I don't have a parts washer, I use a 5 gal busket :D

Kerosene works good for me, had to scrub some of the stuff on my knuckles, and it eventually eats the $3 yellow kitchen gloves.
I wash it all down with brake cleaner afterward.

but!

when I'm done I throw the whole mess, used grease and all into the oil tank and burn it in the furnace in the house :D

re-cycling is goooood :D

used motor oil goes in there in small amounts also

I came across some spray solvent/lubricator called Deep Creep by Sea Foam. I use it on everything from cleaning parts to keeping the hinges clean and oiled. I works great on air intake and is some of the most multi-functional stuff I have seen. You can get it at O'Reiley's autoparts for $6 a can. Oh yeah, spray it on ordinary metal and it treats it and repels the water. I am a big fan. You guys might look into it.
Not affiliated of course.
:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom