1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solid state solenoid pack choices

Discussion in 'Winching and Recovery' started by alia176, Sep 12, 2017.

1. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    I see lots of these Albright knock off things on Ebay with prices all over the map. Besides the famous Albright unit, are there other manufacturers that people have used long term with good results? If so, please post up and the cost. I know that my M10,000 winch have fulled excess of 600 amps under full load so hopefully a typical 500a unit can handle a short current spike of this magnitude.

Thanks for your input.

2. 1911

1911 chupacabra SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Ali, the Albright web site gives specs for theirs, including duty ratings and graphs of amperage versus time (in seconds).
    D.C. Contactors and Disconnect Switches - Albright

Of course, the knock-offs have no such specs available.

Having said that, the $100 knock-off I bought from Summit Racing and advertised as a Superwinch contactor has worked flawlessly on my Warn 8274 for many years, including some yuuuge pulls (a big diesel pickup with a 24' gooseneck trailer with a skid steer on it, out of a ditch and up a steep hill). The 8274 will take more than 500 amps on start-up, so the Summit unit has done pretty well I think.

Edited to add:

Here is the one I have; the price has gone up a little:
    Superwinch Replacement Solenoids 90-14452

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  3. Steve83

Steve83

That's not actually "solid state". It's just 2 heavy-duty SPST relays integrated into a single housing with shared terminals because it's specifically designed to perform a reverse-polarity function. And even the cheapest ones can be rebuilt. Usually, the contacts just get corroded by their own ozone, pitted by the arc when they open, and scorched by the resistance through the corrosion & Carbon during hard pulls. A few passes with sandpaper or a needle file brings them back to almost-new.

Solid-state components have no moving parts, and a solid-state relay capable of DC500A would cost a few hundred dollars. It would take probably 20 of these to do what the one 1911 posted does:
    SSR-100 DD Solid State Module Solid-state Relay DC-DC 100A 3-32V DC/5-60V J2H8 | eBay

4. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    I stand corrected, thanks dude!