Solenoid Mounting Plate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my 8274 mounting plate is in less than pristine condition. I ran it through the sand blast cabinet, straighten out a few kinks, and it looks good.

20180423_222629.jpg

I know the Warn solenoids ground using the plate, so here are my options:

Head down to my local plating place and get it zinc plated (like OEM)

Spray some cold galvinizing compound on it (Rustoleum).

Spray some Aluminum paint (Rustoleum) on it.

I figure if I go the paint route, I will just run a wire (or four) linking the solenoid bases together and ground it to the motor. Which seems very doable.

Thoughts?

On a side note: Some 'jewelry' for the rebuild (parts from two control boxes):

20180423_222734.jpg

Another option: replace all four solenoids with a single contactor, that has one small and simple ground wire.

Your sandblasted plate will conduct just fine, without any plating or painting - but I guess you want to keep it from rusting. Nothing wrong with grounding them to the motor case, just more wire.

Another option: replace all four solenoids with a single contactor, that has one small and simple ground wire.
I considered that. But I really don't want to put a lot more money into this one. If it was going to be a primary winch for recovery, I'd go that route for certain. If the 8274 I've got mounted to the front of my CJ5 starts acting up, I'll upgrade to a contactor on that. This one, still needs a winch rope, and I'm leaning toward synthetic, as it's a portable winch and I want to cut down on weight.

Plus, I've got 4 good solenoids (OEM Warn - made in USA) that I've tested and cleaned up. Just need to get some new nuts/washers/etc for them.

So.... I took the mounting plate over to my local plating place. They had previously done the cadmium plating on all my 8274 brake parts:

20160409_153429.jpg

I told him that I didn't want to spend over $20 on it, and he said I won't: It'll be free. Nice! Should be done in a couple of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom