Softopper Rocks !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am going to throw this in the camping section, because that is what I am using it for. Usually it seems like whenever I buy something online there's a good chance that I will end up with crap. But not this time !

I called and ordered my softopper for our 08 tundra 77" bed on a Tuesday, and it arrived Friday !

The Directions were a little hard to make out, but everything was color coded so it was self explainitory. The brackets clamped to the bed rails, 2 pins went on, 4 straps and the cover last. Once the cover is put on the 1st time you can take the whole top from off to on in under 5 minutes by yourself. Great quality product ! The canvas was nice and heavy, as were the snaps and bows.

Now to the camping portion, my wife and I had been camping in a truck bed tent I picked up on craigslist and put our easy-up over the back of the truck so water wouldn't get between the bed and the tent. It was a PITA !.

The softopper has so much more room in it since it is more boxed than domed. I threw my spare trailer tires and a couple 2x6's in the bed with some plywood on top and had enough room to use a queen size air mattress and barely sit up. I think I am going to upgrade to a couple thermarest mattresses, I am sick of air mattresses leaking air and the cheap pumps you have to rely on.

Since I installed the top It has seen severe thunderstorms, both while still and moving, ridiculous 40-65 mph winds (the ones that we got a couple weeks ago that I drove through on my way from NY to Moab) and a massive snow storm (coming over the Vail Colorado pass on the same trip). I camped in it with my Mr. buddy heater in high 20 degree weather (during the night) and no problems, flaping noise, inflating, nothing !

I am impressed and I am really happy i picked one up for my 4runner too :).

Great company, great service, great product !

dubsb-albums-trip-moab-picture18992-photo-11305049015012.jpg

dubsb-albums-trip-moab-picture18996-photo-21305049014486.jpg

Thanks for the idea !! sucks they are only 40" wide, they do have another self inflating model that is a double, but its listed as backorderable, I emailed them to find out what that means.

Try this for the best camping mattress around:

Cabelas mattress

s7_514431_999_02

Josh,

Have you used this mattress over a hard surface? I'm wondering if it would be comfortable on the metal lid on my CDN camper.

Thanks
Gman

We use an aerobed queensize. Just used it on a camping trip last weekend. Filled it on day one in about 30 seconds and slept like babies on it for all 3 days of the trip never added air to it after the initial fill up. Packs away in a bag that sits on the floorboard behind my seat in the Tacoma.

Josh,

Have you used this mattress over a hard surface? I'm wondering if it would be comfortable on the metal lid on my CDN camper.

Thanks
Gman
I have used this on the in laws hardwood floor beside for camping and on the old wood platform in the back of my 80 and it worked great no comfort issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom