Builds So now I have a BJ74... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To Paint or Not To Paint...

So I have always preferred the look of the black grill and mirrors over the chrome that my 74 has but I have been hesitant to paint the original OE parts. Mine are not in the best shape as the sun has done some work on them so I am maybe considering it. I think I can still buy new black grill and manual mirrors so lets call that option one. Second is to find some one who would trade black for chrome and the third is to do some prep and paint what I have. So what say you guys?
Here is some pics to show the condition of my grill and mirrors. I don't think I would consider painting them if they we supper nice but since they are showing their age maybe now is the time.
IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg
IMG_0208.jpg

G'Day Folks,

NM Frontier, I'd remove the grill and mirrors (along with anything else that needs a touch up), and have them abrasive Blasted, to remove the chrome plating, then have them either Powder Coated, or painted Black.
Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Definitely leaning towards the plasti-dip for all of those reasons, I’m just not sure how the texture will look. I haven’t messed with plasti-dip before not sure “thick” it will look

Definitely leaning towards the plasti-dip for all of those reasons, I’m just not sure how the texture will look. I haven’t messed with plasti-dip before not sure “thick” it will look
I did the spray Plasti-Dip in flat black on the mirrors. It looks good, but I don't think I did enough coats as it was a little thin in places, and it does nick, scratch fairly easily, but probably easy to recover.

10A7C30E-6CD9-4B37-BFB7-AF0EEE690A54.jpeg

3E57A40E-97AC-447F-B545-DCDFDD5F91E7.jpeg

To Paint or Not To Paint...

So I have always preferred the look of the black grill and mirrors over the chrome that my 74 has but I have been hesitant to paint the original OE parts. Mine are not in the best shape as the sun has done some work on them so I am maybe considering it. I think I can still buy new black grill and manual mirrors so lets call that option one. Second is to find some one who would trade black for chrome and the third is to do some prep and paint what I have. So what say you guys?
Here is some pics to show the condition of my grill and mirrors. I don't think I would consider painting them if they we supper nice but since they are showing their age maybe now is the time.
View attachment 2277929
View attachment 2277930
View attachment 2277931
View attachment 2277932View attachment 2277933

I'll narrow your choices down: Mesh front grille OEM new is not available-- only later grille styles are available. I've been able to find used version from Japan auction sites and some times here in the states, but they tend to be pretty expensive.

Black manual mirrors are still available new OEM.

HTH. :)

Thanks Onur, I like the mesh grill so I may give plasti dip a go, see how long it lasts then maybe consider going to the newer style one day.

coldtaco, that looks good thanks for the example.

@saltycoconuts
Thanks, I love that it almost matches the 40th 80 series color.

Boise is a great place, my wife is from here so I’ve been familiar with the area for awhile. It a good place for outdoor stuff but it been discovered, housing is crazy and trails near town are always busy. But we’re still happy with the decision to move our HQ up here.

Please set up her business so I can pay her to do one of my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom