Builds Snow White HDJ81 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.ginglesinspections.com
The stars have aligned and finally picked up an HDJ81. 1992, auto, locked, 2"? lift, 33's, Snow Version. The cruiser was locating in Vancouver, BC which means it needed to be imported. The seller was very accommodating and had gone through the process multiple times so he assisted in the paperwork and getting everything in order. The wife and I flew to Vancouver, imported it near Langley, WA and made our journey back to KC, MO.
HDJ81aa.jpg

A couple weeks prior to the adventure, I found a guy near Seattle selling a roof rack and ARB Awning. He agreed to hold it for me. We met up with him and moved the rack over.

We spent the afternoon in Seattle, and headed towards Mt. Rainer. We got up the next morning, and did a quick hike before heading to Ellensburg, WA to pick up another roof rack from a friend to transport back to KS for another friends 4runner. We continued Baker City, OR to stay the night with my aunt and uncle. The next morning we ventured to Salt Lake City. SLC exceeded our expectations - we didn't realize there was an In-N-Out.

The next morning we visiting Cruiser Dan at the Cruiser Heritage Museum. The wife found her favorite cruiser - the retro stripes did it for her.

After a few hours there, we continued on to Colorado. I had to be in Boulder, CO that Friday for a continuing education class. The wife felt intimidated that she'd be driving the cruiser by herself in Boulder all day but she said RHD wasn't as bad as she thought.

We were going to hit a trail or pass in Colorado but we ran into a snow storm - I had no recovery gear, no one with us, no way to communicate, and there was 6"+ of snow on the rocks/trail. So we opted for some dirt roads.

Now back to KC.

Some plans for the cruiser -
Knuckle maintenance
fluid changes
turbo
wheels/tires
RTT

That's a little list for now.

Already have a set of wheels - I picked them up last year for our 4Runner, but we ended up selling the 4Runner. So now they have a better purpose. Not sure what tire size I’ll end up with. Right now it has 305/70/16’s - some Chinese brand m/t’s. I’ll probably do an all terrain.

Congratulations that is a very nice HDJ81, looks very clean. I live in Vancouver and I never saw this one for sale. How many kilometers are on it?

Congrats, looks like a nice truck! Love the wheels!

I'd add a pre-turbo EGT and boost gauge to your list of things to do. And an external trans cooler.

Congratulations that is a very nice HDJ81, looks very clean. I live in Vancouver and I never saw this one for sale. How many kilometers are on it?
Thanks - I think it was in the Richmond area for a while - not sure how many years it was in Canada. I don’t think the seller had it listed locally - it was on eBay. It has a little over 300k kms. On it.

Congrats, looks like a nice truck! Love the wheels!

I'd add a pre-turbo EGT and boost gauge to your list of things to do. And an external trans cooler.

Most certainly! It already has a boost gauge and I have an Egt for it, just need to figure out where to install the gauges. I thinking of installing them in the radio area to have a cleaner look. I’m sure the Egt’s get a little warm - it rolls a little coal and not intercooled.

Son of a gun...I tried to buy that awning off of Craigslist. Snohomish if I recall correctly

Congrats great looking cruiser!!

Oh and I too went to the land cruiser museum when I did a fly and buy on my cruiser from new Orleans to Seattle but that's another story for another time.

The stars have aligned and finally picked up an HDJ81. 1992, auto, locked, 2"? lift, 33's, Snow Version. The cruiser was locating in Vancouver, BC which means it needed to be imported. The seller was very accommodating and had gone through the process multiple times so he assisted in the paperwork and getting everything in order. The wife and I flew to Vancouver, imported it near Langley, WA and made our journey back to KC, MO. View attachment 1984143

View attachment 1984158

A couple weeks prior to the adventure, I found a guy near Seattle selling a roof rack and ARB Awning. He agreed to hold it for me. We met up with him and moved the rack over.

View attachment 1984164

View attachment 1984165We spent the afternoon in Seattle, and headed towards Mt. Rainer. We got up the next morning, and did a quick hike before heading to Ellensburg, WA to pick up another roof rack from a friend to transport back to KS for another friends 4runner. We continued Baker City, OR to stay the night with my aunt and uncle. The next morning we ventured to Salt Lake City. SLC exceeded our expectations - we didn't realize there was an In-N-Out.

View attachment 1984166

Son of a gun...I tried to buy that awning off of Craigslist. Snohomish if I recall correctly

Congrats great looking cruiser!!

Oh and I too went to the land cruiser museum when I did a fly and buy on my cruiser from new Orleans to Seattle but that's another story for another time.

HA! I was surprised he held it for me for 2 weeks without a deposit - I have sold quite a bit on Criaglist and it can be frustrating dealing with the folks on there. Definitely was a good deal for the combo. Cruiser parts don't show up for sale in Kansas City so I made sure I picked up at least 1 big ticket item on the trip back.

Did a little work on cruiser today. What started out as fixing the horn revealed a bunch of other shenanigans. After removing a rats nest worth of wire, I now have no clock, dome lights, or radio. The dome circuit was working before hand but after removing some wires, it no longer does. At some point in the past, the dome circuit was “fixed” by tapping into the ignition switch with an inline fuse and was tapped into the clock. This powered the circuit. I have since removed this because it appeared redundant or not necessary. The dome fuse is good, all other fuses are good, and so are the fusable links. I get 12v at the dome fuse in the block under the hood but I am not getting that voltage at the circuit inside the cab. So we are looking for a damaged wire, bad connections, alteration, etc. Removing the passenger side kick panel revealed some potential culprits. I have a disconnected plug , cut wires, and another plug with some splices. According to the FSM, the dome circuit is a L-Y wire (blue with yellow stripe). A L-Y wire was spliced at this plug. I have continuity from this plug in the kick panel to the clock so this is my wire, but I cannot find the other end. My question is, am I missing something here? Like another control module or relay? I got tired working on this tonight and thought i’d sleep on it.

Working on VW’s, I fell in love with the flow diagrams in the Bentley manuals - they were very detailed when it comes to the wire diagrams. The wire diagrams in the Toyota FSM in my opinion are very lacking. The FSM says part of the dome circuit is pin 3 in plug/harness EA1 — It doesn’t tell me how many pins/wires are in EA1, or the location in the vehicle. Are there specific details available that I am not aware of?
316C8954-28EE-4E9A-ADC8-AA6EBFC1ECFE.jpeg
E22FA207-CA39-4A1C-8EF8-D2F6E079D388.jpeg
65EFABB2-4925-4D82-9087-08F719805676.jpeg

A couple weeks behind in posting - got the A/C system functional. The belt was not installed and the compressor clutch was missing components. Options included a) getting a clutch from the junkyard off a 2nd gen 4Runner and hoping for the best b) buying a new OEM clutch assembly for about $130, or c) buy a new denso compressor with clutch for $150. I opted to purchase a new compressor, new denso expansion valve & dryer. Also went with some DuraCool R12 replacement. After removing the old compressor, it appears locked up and had no oil drain out of it.
Got the A/C functioning. I do believe I need a new fan clutch now. I never hear the fan lock up. I dont have any cooling problems but the AC has a hard time keeping cool in slow traffic so I purchased a new clutch from cruiser outfitters - should be here in a couple days.
16B972A7-CB75-4F2F-8D0C-CC98B54604DC.jpeg
793ECF86-2765-464D-AB62-27A820D96904.jpeg
0AB9E38F-594A-4149-A050-51DA6308ADB1.jpeg

Nice! That’s at least three guys I know of with diesel 80’s up there. Wichita, myself.

The cruiser had a master cylinder brace installed for some reason.. To install that, the cruise control system was removed. I have removed that bracket and am in the process of trying to piece the CC system together. I need to source an actuator and the throttle cables -- the cable from the throttle pedal to the actuator and the cable from the actuator to the IP. Does anyone have a line on these or have some laying around they'd let go? I also need the 1HDT specific computer.
048ECBCB-BAC0-4C3A-8ED0-FC90D485E02F.jpeg
55338409-46A1-46BC-BC20-D63D00EA369B.jpeg

Nice! That’s at least three guys I know of with diesel 80’s up there. Wichita, myself.
Wow, I can't say I've met anyone with an OEM diesel 80 here in KC. There's a couple guys that have swapped 4bt/6bt power. There was also a JDM HJ61 here in town for a while but it was sold and left the area.

Sorry, I meant diesel in general. I think you’re the only OEM diesel right now.

Received a new fan clutch from Cruiser Outfitters. Installed it with new OEM fan belts. Also picked up a couple EWD manuals to chase down some electrical gremlins.

P/n's for reference ---
V belt set - 90916-02452
Fan Clutch - 16210-17040

674969A6-D74E-489E-B10B-C1445105BEED.jpeg
97451963-F3AF-4964-8D2D-F6BBE0C20DE0.jpeg
A1406ED4-248A-4D40-844D-8ED90FA9BFD8.jpeg

Not to often a roof top tent pops up on the KC craigslist, and it was literally 5 minutes from my house so I had to jump on this! Kids love it and can’t wait for cooler weather to get out in this thing. It’s a Poler Stuff Le Tente. Poler is no longer in biz - I am needing to find a lower annex. From what I can tell, a lot of annex’s are universal — this tent set up has a channel around the perimeter to slide in the annex,
183A9E83-5742-472B-843E-2F521FC122D6.jpeg
D15BC2C9-0493-4DD6-8043-305181D802AA.jpeg
43B9DF13-3377-4FF7-A36C-ED74B26E5F97.jpeg

The cruiser had a master cylinder brace installed for some reason.. To install that, the cruise control system was removed.

That's a first, never seen a brace like that. Why would someone think they even need that?

That's a first, never seen a brace like that. Why would someone think they even need that?
Its an import thing, Subaru guys used to do it

I read this with a Canadian accent because I don’t know what a Kansas accent sounds like. Pretty similar I’m guessing.

Great looking truck!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom